Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldnt't be assed to pack my dive gear for a single day, much because of the hassle of getting it dried and ready for the return. I would check in my already packed camera gear case though :wink:

I originally purchased an Atomic T3 because it was light and specifically for travel so I'm inclined to take the reg. But I opted for the Atomic SS1 as my alternative so I'm forced to take the BC along now as well. I would take mask, snorkel, and fins anyways since we should have an opportunity to snorkel on the beach when we are there, so at this point I'm thinking just take the whole kit and caboodle. Cost shouldn't be an issue since the bags aren't subjected to baggage fees so I guess why not. The schedule works out to dive on Monday which gives two days for the gear to dry before we head home. Still, there is the hassle factor of lugging the gear and unlike our usual vacations where I would get several days it will only be the one day. On the other hand, maybe I could get another day from the wife since I did bring the gear ....

As for sizes my daughter is the one that has gear fitting problems. She is petit and currently uses an XS size BC. It's an Aeris Travel Lite which is essentially a plastic back plate with wings and doesn't weight much at all for baggage purposes. I guess for that reason alone should consider taking the stuff.

For one day I will pack regs, prescription mask, spare mask, snorkel, DC, and camera and rent the rest. maybe also gloves.

If there are any bottomless dives I might also bring my BCD since I am familiar with it and SMB and reel.

For more than one day and if staying at just one hotel I will usually bring everything.

Nope, not worth it. we did not even dive when we went to PI. Nassau is NOT a dive destination.

leave the scuba gear at home. AND pretend you are not a diver. snorkel from the resort, but be prepared to be disappointed in that as well. like jamaica, the locals have eaten all the fishes. you will see more fish in the aquarium at PI than in the ocean.

if you decide to dive, you will spend a very large amount of time and effort for a very short "vacation dive" on a cattle boat. There are about 3 local operators, all catering to vacation divers. the trip from PI to stuarts cove is over an hour each way.

if you like short, cattle boat vacation dives, then you will be in heaven.

Reactions: Doc
Me - I would rent for one day - but that is me - the hassle of packing gear and cleaning for one day is not worth it to me. Going for multiple days I would suggest to bring the gear.
an
Agreed... and I'm the guy who will take everything I own every where... as long as it is two days or more. I can put up with any gear for one day... except for masks and fins.

I would take my own gear. I hate using strange stuff where I don't know exactly where the controls and adjustments are, or when it was serviced.
I would also try to sneak in a few more dives on the trip.

As a petite female that hasn't rented since my OW course, I would absolutely pack my own gear. Of course, my gear is very light weight and compact so that may influence my decision.

One dive, would not bother perhaps depending on what the dive site was.

One day of diving, different story, take everything :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom