Is our never-used Dacor 360 regulator from 1989 still usable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trident makes a seat for it, no reason to buy a 20 year old kit.
The trident seat doesn't last as well, but they are cheap and easy to get.
Only problem is I do not think the depth of the bore for the push pin (into the HP seat) is the same for all years. It might also require a longer or shorter pin.
Orings are std, diaphragm same as Conshelf.

FWIW, If you decide that it is more trouble than it is worth and want to go new, there are low-cost, quality options.

Deep 6 extended their holiday sale and you can get a full reg set (1st stage, primary and secondary 2nd stages, pressure gauge, and all hoses {both second stages, gauge, and BC inflator}) for $400 right now (until Dec 7).

Note: It is not their premium "Signature" line and official service will likely be mail-in (It is an extremely common design so could be serviced by many competent service facilities subject to their willingness/insurance))

NOTICE

Due to the ridiculously low price point, this regulator is not eligible for a free first service like our Signature Series. However, if you'd like us to service it for you at any time, we'll gladly do so (recommended 2-year / 200 dive service interval.) Standard Deep 6 regulator warranty applies. Normal servicing fees will apply. (Currently $40 for 1st stage, $30 for 2nd stage.)

Even though that Dacor reg is technically brand new, it’s actually not brand new.
I think it’s more trouble than it worth trying to find a person to service it, to find parts, etc. on an obsolete reg that was kind if mediocre at best even when they were in business.
Personally I’d look into used Scubapro or Atomic if you want used, and if you’re on an extreme budget but want new just buy Deep 6 or Hog or DGX.
They also sell parts to the end user, but even if you have no interest in doing self service at least you can stock up on parts kits and have someone else do it.
Personally I’d look for a used Scubapro MK2 with a basic octo and a nice balanced primary second stage. Scubapro is top notch quality, MK2’s are very simple and very easy to service, and parts and service is widely available anywhere in the world.
Opinions will vary.

Even though that Dacor reg is technically brand new, it’s actually not brand new.
I think it’s more trouble than it worth trying to find a person to service it, to find parts, etc. on an obsolete reg that was kind if mediocre at best even when they were in business.
Personally I’d look into used Scubapro or Atomic if you want used, and if you’re on an extreme budget but want new just buy Deep 6 or Hog or DGX.
They also sell parts to the end user, but even if you have no interest in doing self service at least you can stock up on parts kits and have someone else do it.
Personally I’d look for a used Scubapro MK2 with a basic octo and a nice balanced primary second stage. Scubapro us top notch quality, MK2’s are very simple and very easy to service, and parts and service is widely available anywhere in the world.
Opinions will vary.
Maybe I’ll buildup the MK2 with a hog second and the R190 octo with a yoke and relist it, as soon as my shop warms up.

Personally I’d look for a used Scubapro MK2 with a basic octo and a nice balanced primary second stage. Scubapro us top notch quality, MK2’s are very simple and very easy to service, and parts and service is widely available anywhere in the world.
Opinions will vary.
While maybe true for other Dacor models the 360 is a very simple bulletproof design, same as a Conshelf. If it is paired with the Pacer XP (which it probably is) then it is a very easy breathing regulator. Other that the HP seat nothing is proprietary, all common parts.
I know because I have two 360's (along with Conshelfs, Scubapro, Poseidon, and many others). The 360 with PacerXP is a very easy breather.

While maybe true for other Dacor models the 360 is a very simple bulletproof design, same as a Conshelf. If it is paired with the Pacer XP (which it probably is) then it is a very easy breathing regulator. Other that the HP seat nothing is proprietary, all common parts.
I know because I have two 360's (along with Conshelfs, Scubapro, Poseidon, and many others). The 360 with PacerXP is a very easy breather.
Where do you get HP seats?
That’s pretty mission critical and the most important part in a first stage.

If it was mine (we have 2) I would hook it up to a tank, check the IP and if stable just adjust if needed and then dive it.
The 360 is a simple diaphragm first stage similar to a conshelf.
If service is needed all orings are standard size. The diaphragm is the same as a conshelf (35mm I believe) and is interchangeable (I have done it).
The air filter can be cleaned in vinegar solution.
The HP seat does NOT go bad sitting in a box. It is bulletproof, although I have spares I have never needed to replace. Contrary to what a lot of people say you can reuse the HP seat, if it worked before taken apart it will work again. I have been doing this for over 50 years with no issues. If truly unused that seat should be good for a minimum 10 years active diving. Check ebay sometimes old kits pop up. All you want is the HP seat in the kit.
If the second stage is a Pacer XP (common) it is a simple downstream, again bulletproof. The LP seat is the same as a Conshelf.
Yes, we never used it at all. It's in the box in the original packaging. I may look at fixing this up for my husband and buying my own used regulator.
Thank you,
Nancy

While new, they are old. Mentioned before, I will again. The metal parts inside will be like new. Shy of corrosion, nothing could be wrong. The rubber, that ages. That is where the problems will be at. It would really need a service just to have fresh rubber parts.

Now the rub. Dacor has been out of business for about 20 years. Bought by Mares and the service parts discontinued. Any factory service kits are now 20+ years old as well.

I know a guy in town that kept old Dacors alive for many years after support disappeared. Even he has given up on them.

As for buying used off FB or eBay, unless you know what your are really shopping for and what you are getting, you could end up with a used version of exactly what you are trying to replace. The same service guy tells me about them all the time. Looks good outside, lots of salt water damage inside. Lots of neglect. By the time he gets them rebuilt (if he can get the parts for them) they had now spent as much for a used regulator as a new one with warranty would have cost.

There are fans of them out there. And if you can rebuild them yourself it isn't that big of a deal. I would recommend putting that brand new Dacor still in the original box and in the plastic on eBay. Let one of the fans of it pick it up and put it in there collection. Use that money toward a new reg.
That's not a bad idea!! I'll discuss with my husband. He is very mechanical and may understand all of these instructions more than I do. I have talents but being mechanical is NOT one of them! :)
Nancy

It probably would be fine if it passed a full pre-dive check. But I could never recommend that a new diver take a chance on a 34-year old unserviced reg.
AMEN to that, my friend. Even if it appears good…if it hasn’t been used or serviced in awhile, hook it up to a tank, cover the orifice connection with your hand for safety, turn it on for a check, close tank valve and depressurize ( …you already know that stuff..👍…), then open it up to look for ‘little surprises’. I have found a few….

If the IP does spike try relubing the balance chamber oring
You may need to refurb the 1st stage. Look for the Manual on line or VDH archives. Most are readily available to check working pressure and an exploded view of regulator. Read the manual. Also the Fred Roberts ‘Basic SCUBA’ 2nd edition covers a great deal of this in detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom