Is Seal Saver bad for latex seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to hijack the thread, but what about 303 Aerospace Protectant:

303 Products Inc.: 303 Aerospace Protectant [www_303products_com]

Supposedly safe on latex seals and a lot more economical and versatile than "Seal Saver":"

303 Products Inc.: Is 303 Aerospace Protectant Effective On Latex Rubber? [www_303products_com]

Interesting.

For $5 S&H, they will send a two-ounce FREE sample of each of their three products.

303 Products Inc.: Free Samples

Anyone want to experiment? I would, but I'm committed to a different experiment.... :D

Dave C

Well, another annoying Dry Suit Manufacturer on the anti seal saver kick. I also come from a bit of a different perspective as was USIA's Quality Control Supervisor for a very long time and I ran our repair department as well. Seals treated with pure talculm powder seem to last a lot longer. Like other have said, doing repairs on suits with silicone products is a nightmare, especially for companies like DUI and USIA that glue our seals on the suits before they are sewn. I know that Whites sews their seals on and doesn't really have the same issues replacing seals. But like anything else, if you take care of your seals, they will last a lot longer.

Does the use of silicone gels like KY to lubricate seals help or harm the latex? I know they are water-based products.

KY is not a silicone product.

Well, another annoying Dry Suit Manufacturer on the anti seal saver kick. I also come from a bit of a different perspective as was USIA's Quality Control Supervisor for a very long time and I ran our repair department as well. Seals treated with pure talculm powder seem to last a lot longer. Like other have said, doing repairs on suits with silicone products is a nightmare, especially for companies like DUI and USIA that glue our seals on the suits before they are sewn. I know that Whites sews their seals on and doesn't really have the same issues replacing seals. But like anything else, if you take care of your seals, they will last a lot longer.

Problem with talc is how do you keep it out of your dry glove rings? I use the Viking Bayonet ring system and if I were to switch over to talc the rings would be gummed up in no-time.

Problem with talc is how do you keep it out of your dry glove rings? I use the Viking Bayonet ring system and if I were to switch over to talc the rings would be gummed up in no-time.

I use a similar dryglove ring system, SI TECH, and I like using pure talc on my latex seals. (Disclaimer: I like it so much, I sell the stuff!)

A good talc won't cake or gum up, but will remain fine, smooth and slippery, yet easy to wash off when desired.

However, its excellent lubricating quality may make the docking ring's sealing ring lose its grip under certain rare circumstances. Highly unlikely, but possible.

So, since it's so easy to do, I always remove my SI TECH docking rings after each day of diving. Then, prior to re-installing before the next day of diving, I just use my hand or a damp cloth to remove most of the talc from the inside of the wrist seal so the sealing ring will have a good grip on the latex.

After installing the docking and sealing ring, I liberally powder the inside of the latex wrist seal, as it won't get under the sealing ring at that point.

With one's wrist also powdered, the seal will slide on very easily, but the big advantage of rubbing a good, smooth pure talc on the skin is that it helps prevent skin oils from transferring to the latex. That will extend seal life, as will an occasional quick washing of the latex with soapy water, especially in warmer conditions. I only wash my seals a few times a season, but every time after a dive that was especially sweaty. It only takes a couple minutes to wash all the surfaces of the latex seals.

That's just my experience and my honest, humble opinion, but, again, for full disclosure, it should be known that I sell pure unscented talc and I am definitely biased. :D

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom