Is the Bay Islands Aggressor not really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Marvintpa,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that it would be as you described. I figured that the crew would do their best and that the diving most likely would not show me something that I haven't seen before.... I was tempted by the lower rate, but airfare/trip to Roatan is tough (esp from SF). So it would still run $2300+, which is an awful lot, and I would want some "WOWs" during the trip for that amount. There are still so many dive spots that I need to make it to!

So, where are you off to next? Although the water was "cold", the diving off the Kona Aggressor was great! I did it about 5-6 years ago, but it seems like it's still a VERY popular boat because every time I've called about it since, it's been full!

Dee:
I've never been on the BIA but every year when we are at CoCo View Resort on the south sides, the BIA stays moored in front of the resort for a couple of days, moving from one site to another. Marv, I don't want to disagree with your report but we see sea horses all over the place! They are on the Prince Albert wreck, on CCV Wall and Newman's Wall, all in easy shore diving distance from the resort. We also see them at the top of Mary's Place, at Calvin's Crack and Gold Chain. These are the sites we see them at year after year. Plus they are sited at various other sites.

Now Nudi's, I've only seen 3 in Roatan and they were all on Menagerie reef. The BIA parks right over Managerie for a whole day. I'm not a big Nudi fan so I don't really look for them either.

Have you thought about going to CCV? If you sign on as a 'share'...meaning you're willing to share a room with another female, they will assign you a roomie and you don't pay a single supplement. If there is no one needing a roomie, you get the room to yourself. One of the girls on our trips has done this the last 4 years and has never had a roomie!

Hi Dee!

I have read great reviews about CCV! It sounds like if I were to do a landbased op, that would be the kind of diver oriented op that I would want. That's great that they do a "share." The single supplement/penalty is usually what kills it for me, which is why I like to book liveaboards at the last minute. That way I know how full the boat is. I haven't run into that many other women traveling/diving alone....

That is SOOOO COOOOL that you've seen sea horses galore!!! I've never seen one in person (not even in an aquarium), but from what I've read they are easily stressed and not very hearty. And with, the oceans at risk from humans, I've been thinking that I need to see some while I can...

Not a big nudi fan? Huh? Does not compute.... :) Seriously though, have you seen those big, wild, brightly colored ones? Like, yellow, purple, magenta ones.... As one person said "What was God on when he created nudibrachs?"

I guess the main reasons that I wimped out from CCV are the noseeums(sp?) aand bugs and the expensive airfare. I finally decided that I need to be "fiscally responsible" right now. Why is that when finances are an issue, that is exactly when I am in dire need to a dive trip....? I guess part of the problem is I get "cabin-fever" during the same time of the year everyone else does....

Hmmm.... I'll check out the CCV website again. Maybe figure out if and when airfares drop, which might happen when Continental starts flying there.

Thanks for sharing!

Zippsy:
Lembeh Straits can be dived anytime since it is fairly well protected from the monsoon. The good news is that it is only an hour or two from Minado on the other side of the penisula. If you want, you can combine some great muck diving with wonderful wall diving looking for the big stuff. Minado does get hit by the monsoon so anytime from March to mid-November is best for that.

The same combination of diving is available between Mabul / Kapalai and Sipadan. They are only a short 30 - 60 minute boat ride away from each other. The best season here is also from March to mid-November although I was there in February and it was still the diving I have ever done.

FYI, all four places have great resorts and I would recommend using them rather than any (?) LOB. I would rate Lembeh better than Mabul / Kapalai but Sipadan better than Minado. All four places I would rate at least a 9 if Grand Cayman is a 5 on the same scale to 10.

I forgot about PNG - that definitely should have been on my initial list.

Hey Zippsy!

Great, thanks for all that information!!! I've cut and pasted your reply, kicking of the beginnings of my research for (hopefully) my next trip.... I'm lookin' for my "9" dive trip!!! (10 would be perfection, of course). Sounds like the only place up for you might be Galapagos? (cold, cold, cold though)

Yeah, while I had a blast on the Cayman Aggressor (ran into some people from a previous liveaboard and laughed the ENTIRE trip, except for when I was seasick...), we got hit with a horrendous weather pattern. We spent the whole trip trying to hide from the storm, so I figured that was why the diving was not so great....

Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom