Is The Hollis F1"LT" A Good Basic Diver's Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a student with large feet (Size 14) and they love yellow. So our options are limited.

Would the Hollis F1LT be a good all-around fin or is it strictly a short tech fin? Or is there a better yellow fin in size 14 out there?

I have never dove with a pair, but I love my F1s. But they don't come in yellow.

One of the Hollis fins has a smaller foot pocket. Don't remember which.

I have the F1's.

I have a student with large feet (Size 14) and they love yellow. So our options are limited.

Would the Hollis F1LT be a good all-around fin or is it strictly a short tech fin? Or is there a better yellow fin in size 14 out there?

I have never dove with a pair, but I love my F1s. But they don't come in yellow.

Does your student need light or heavy/negative (buoyancy) fins for what they are diving and what type of footwear?

My understanding from investigating trading my Eddys for F1LTs or Slipstreams is that they are not as negative as the F1s but still reasonably negative - I've heard close to the Slipstreams.

If light ....
ScubaPro GoSports are available in yellow in XL sizes (Item 25.763.500) There is a lot of love for these, but some want something stivver, unfortunately, the XHD GoSport Gorrillas are only avialable in black or orange (at least currently.)

Yellow blades are also available for the ScubaPro MFS SuperNovas. Once they become available in the US you could order yellow blades and black or white foot pockets. i just dove a new to me pair (L) for Solo and ITT training and was quite pleased with them for all around diving. I tend to rotate kicks based on circumstances and to balance muscle groups and was happy with them in with frog, flutters, and sculling.

Hopefully @lexvil can chime in on exact fit with his footwear with the Scubapro BootFit XLs. He is (about) that size foot if I'm remembering correctly.

Possibly another option ...

Tusa Hyflex Switch Pros are also available with a polyurethane yellow blade. Supposedly 20% stiffer than the standard Hyflex Switch blades. The L-XL size is listed as Mens 10 to 14. I just got a pair but have not had a chance to dive them. My L-XL foot pocket is notably larger than my SP Ls and there is significant bungee strap adjustability - Size 14 booties seem perfectly reasonable. I don't have measured buoyancy data for them yet, but with the construction I'm guessing a bit negative.

When it comes to foot fit trying is the best option, foot pockets are all over the place, I (size 15) find close and then look for different footwear to adapt my foot to the fin and in the case of the supernova/S Tek I change the Bungee.

Thank you for your suggestions. However, I am in a lawsuit against SP for unethical business practices…thus not an option. That is one reason why I am a Hollis dealer and wanted to ask about Yellow F1LTs.

Back
Top Bottom