Question Is There a 2024 Listing of Recompression Treatment Chambers For Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wallowa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking specifically for a listing of recompression chambers for treating divers [6ATA chambers] West of the Rocky Mountains.

Thanks...Phil

I would image DAN would have such a list.

I would image DAN would have such a list.
Yes, but they allegedly won't provide it. They want to be in the loop when you have a need.

Yes, but they allegedly won't provide it. They want to be in the loop when you have a need.
They won't provide such a list because they don't want you traveling on your own to a chamber only to discover it's offline for maintenance, there are other patients in there, the staffing isn't available, or they otherwise can't accept you. They are not trying to hoard information. Just because a hospital has a chamber does not mean they can treat you right now.

They won't provide such a list because they don't want you traveling on your own to a chamber only to discover it's offline for maintenance, there are other patients in there, the staffing isn't available, or they otherwise can't accept you. They are not trying to hoard information. Just because a hospital has a chamber does not mean they can treat you right now.
I agree. i did not at all mean they were hoarding the info. I said that they want to be in the loop, and you provided the reasons why.

I am looking specifically for a listing of recompression chambers for treating divers [6ATA chambers] West of the Rocky Mountains.

Thanks...Phil
Hi Phil, not all chambers that treat divers go to 6 ATA. West of the Rockies is a wide swath, are you looking for a particular area?

Best regards,
DDM

An injured person or their care givers could benefit from having the contact information for the facilities within a 2-300 mile radius. It would seem that a “list” could include the recommendation to call first.

I don’t see a valid reason not to disseminate that information/list. Is the assumption that responsible divers call Dan before every dive and verify availability for accident treatment?

An injured person or their care givers could benefit from having the contact information for the facilities within a 2-300 mile radius. It would seem that a “list” could include the recommendation to call first.

I don’t see a valid reason not to disseminate that information/list. Is the assumption that responsible divers call Dan before every dive and verify availability for accident treatment?
Yes from DAN's perspective. The equipment is only a small fraction of what it takes to treat a diver and if you call afterhours on a weekend etc. as a non-physician "asking if they are currently accepting DCS patients" you are going to get nowhere with a sleepy receptionist and just end up delaying care. And if you do show up at a hyperbaric facility that can't take you - you've just driven gosh knows how many hours in the wrong direction from another further chamber that is taking patients.

DAN isn't going to share their lists, you'll have to make your own. And it won't be nearly as useful as you think it might be.

Honestly, if there is more than one 6ATA facility within 300miles that is operational and accepting divers in an on-call/emergency/weekend/midnight scenario you are in a hyperbaric mecca.

They don't publicize the list partly because it changes a lot. A lot of facilities that used to be 24/7 are only open during regular business hours now, and that sometimes changes with little to no notice. Also, a 24/7 hyperbaric facility is not staffed 24/7. If an injured diver presents directly to a clinic after hours or on a weekend, they may find the door locked. Even if a diver arrived at the clinic during business hours, they'd likely be taken directly to the ED for evaluation. A lot of injuries can masquerade as DCS/DCI and a thorough workup means ruling out other possibilities. Even DAN may not send an injured diver direclty to a hyperbaric facility if there's a hospital with a good emergency department closer.

Best regards,
DDM

An injured person or their care givers could benefit from having the contact information for the facilities within a 2-300 mile radius
If you are diving west of the Mississippi (other than California), there is a decent chance there is no such facility within a 2-300 mile radius.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom