Is there a known connection between swallowing sea water and getting a fever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, it might be a coincidence but in 2 times (6 weeks apart) I swallow some sea water and after the day ends I spend the evening with high temperature (around 39 degrees) and with only the antipyretic (paracetamol) and lots of sweat and I am ok and kicking :)
no other symptoms except for some tiny unnoticeable .. well can't call pain, but funny feeling in the abdomen.
It can be sea water or some bad food the day before or a mix of both...

Did anyone experience a similar thing or has any ideas?

There is nothing specific about seawater in general that would cause a fever, but all water can contain pathogens, many of which affect the digestive tract. Fever is a nonspecific response to an inflammatory stimulus. If you swallowed bacteria with the water, they could give you digestive symptoms and fever.

If the conditions were sufficiently bad for you to swallow seawater...are you sure you did not inhale any small amounts of water or 'mist'?

It could have been SALT WATER ASPIRATION SYNDROME.

Symptoms of salt water aspiration syndrome include:

Here's a quote... (link here to original article)....

[SIZE=+3]Saltwater Aspiration Syndrome[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+1]You've just gotten home from a dive and you're feeling rotten. You ache all over, are so tired you can hardly hold your head up and you have a low grade fever, nausea, headache or shivering. You might even have some shortness of breath and a productive cough. You wonder if you might not have decompression symptoms. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Well, it might not be bronchitis or pneumonia from some creepie-crawlies in your regulator, but most likely salt water in your lungs that's to blame. First described by Dr.Carl Edmonds, this flu-like condition and short-term respiratory distress in divers occurs when even small amounts of micronized saltwater mist is inhaled into the lungs. Although not well-recognized, it's called saltwater aspiration syndrome and it can be avoided by taking several actions. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Treatment[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Interpolation of management would be similar to that given mildly affected cases of near-drowning. Most individuals are not this severely affected and never seek medical care. Others continue with severe cough and bronchospasm and require assistance. Patients with minimal symptoms (eg, coughing) and normal oxygen saturation should be observed for 24 hours; nearly all recover spontaneously within a few hours. In saltwater drownings and saltwater "wet" near-drownings (those that involve aspiration), the hypertonicity of the aspirated fluid draws intravascular fluid into the already fluid-filled alveoli, resulting in ventilation-perfusion abnormalities and intrapulmonary shunting. Intravascular hypovolemia, hemoconcentration, and electrolyte abnormalities can result, although this is not usually seen clinically in near-drowning survivors because they rarely aspirate enough water to produce these effects. It is doubtful that there is enough volume aspirated through a regulator to cause significant electrolyte abnormalities. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Divers who are alert but in respiratory distress require transfer to an intensive care setting for chest roentgenography, oxygen administration, and monitoring of oxygen saturation, arterial blood gases, urinary output, and electrolytes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] The initial chest film may be normal despite marked cough or respiratory distress. Since water ingestion and asphyxia can damage the alveolar capillary membrane, pulmonary edema can occur hours later as ARDS (Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome). Frequent auscultation and continuous monitoring of oxygen saturation can detect this delayed complication. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Bronchospasm can be treated with inhaled beta agonists (bronchial dilators). In the rare person who proceeds to ARDS. continuous positive airway pressure, with or without mechanical ventilation, may be needed to maintain adequate PO2 and, accompanied by ventilation, is the single most effective treatment for hypoxemia. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Saltwater is hypertonic and can cause a shift of fluid from the circulation into the lung and pleural space, whereas freshwater is hypotonic to serum and is rapidly absorbed and redistributed. This might account for the productive cough associated with this syndrome and on a chronic basis could cause hemoconcentration, a known risk for decompression accidents. Ingestion of grossly contaminated water can cause pneumonia and lung abscess; fortunately these complications are rare. [/SIZE]

I am not a medical professional, but I have had similar experiences. Several times in a row, at the beginning of a dive trip after several weeks of not diving, I got a fever and body aches (especially in my legs) after my first few days of diving. My symptoms would only last for several hours. Eventually I theorized that cause was mold in my regulator mouth piece. I now change the mouth piece between trips, and haven't had any problems since.

this is very interesting, I didn't have any of these symptoms before until I got my new regulator. I only dove 2 trips with it and in these 2 trips I got the symptoms.

I think in my next trip I will take good care about aspiration by trying not to have any water in my second stage and will also try to change the mouth piece.

in fact I suspected the second stage all in all, when I recall the feeling underwater I felt like it was not in good position in my mouth and might cause some water to slip in hence can cause aspiration syndrome and in the same time it had a funny sensation (can't tell if it is a smell or taste) but I attributed that to being new...

Thanks all for your support, this is really helpful

Hi Solly,

You report that on two separate occasions after swallowing sea water you subsequently developed an increased temperature. You go on to state there were "no other symptoms except for some tiny, unnoticeable funny feeling in the abdomen."

If you also did not experience cough fairly early on (later becoming productive of sputum), shortness of breath/discomfort on breathing, pain in the mid-chest area (often exacerbated by deep breathing) or a bluish coloration of the skin or lips, then it is beyond extremely unlikely you had salt water aspiration syndrome, which is a rare condition to begin with.

This diagnosis is low on the list of rule outs.

Helpful?

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

nothing of the mentioned symptoms, but to mention sputum, when I woke up the next day I just had a small amount of mucus like substance just near my through and with just a small cough it was out and that's it. I remember this from this last trip, of course I don't remember the one that was a month before, so may be it is just a very mild case that shows none of the symptoms but the fever and this next day 1 cough?

Hi Solly,

Anything is possible, but given only a fever and only a single cough the following morning that produces just a small amount of mucus, and none of the above listed signs and symptoms, nor shivering, fatigue or achiness, it would be stretching the diagnosis.

However, that the fever and tiny "funny feeling" in the abdomen didn't occur until a new regulator was used, and occured on both dive trips in which it was used, is very suspicious. You'll certainly want to have the reg checked to make sure it is in tune and functioning properly.

Perhaps you'll find the following informative:

Salt water aspiration syndrome (Page 6)
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/5913/1/SPUMS_V28N1_2.pdf

Helpful?

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom