Is there a way to tie off SMB reel with no chance of unravelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this happen twice, off the same boat, on the same day. Turned out the new double ender that was attaching it to me had a weak spring on one end and the jolt of entry was enough to pop it open. After replacing the bolt snap I have had no further issues.

The spool bolt-snap can come open, even if 'properly' secured. That'll cause the spool to drop free and unwind below you - a hazard and inconvenience.

There's a bunch of videos on Youtube showing alternative methods for stowage. Some use an elastic band around the spool, others thread the end of the line through the side of the spool and clip the bolt-snap to it there.... and many variations of that.

I was actually shown the 2nd method and used it for awhile.

It involves tying a second smaller loop on the side of the primary spool loop and feeding that through the hole of the spool. You clip the bolt snap on that loop and then loop the line over the bolt snap and bolt snap opener so it kinda jams it shut (it can still open but very little), then you clip off the bolt snap. I've not had it come loose doing it this way.

However, it totally chews up the line after awhile, and it is challenging to undo the snap and line with gloves on. I've stopped using it because of those drawbacks, although it works very well.

Do you have a video link of how the elastic band method is used?

---------- Post added January 14th, 2014 at 02:51 PM ----------

I need help understanding how this works.

My spool and SMB are pre-attached. I.e. there is a loop on the end of the line, it goes over the "D" ring on the SMB, then back over the entire reel itself, to form a knot at the SMB "D" ring.

So there isn't a free end to the SMB loop anymore (it's looped around the "D" ring). How do you loop the end of the string through the side of the spool in this case?

I would shop around for some more tech shorts, heck I've got some attachable Apeks pockets and UTD shorts. I don't think the UTD ones were more than $70 (not sure though).

I usually just wrap the line around the inside of the double-ender gate before closing. Before securing to the bungee in my shorts, I push the entire double ender back so that the snap gate is far away from the reel (gate hits the reel and thus opens). It has worked well for me so far.

One problem that can happen is that if the line is wrapped on the spool on the opposite side of where the bolt snap is clipped off, the line can migrate over to the other side creating enough slack for it to slip over the side of the spool. Feeding the line through one of the holes on the spool before clipping doesn't prevent this.

When I am rolling up my spool I try to distribute the line evenly on the spool but on the last few wraps, I make the line very tight on the same side as where I am going to clip it. I haven't had the line come off since I started doing this, although I very rarely carry a spool outside of a pocket anymore and generally only use locking reels/hybrids when clipped off outside of a pocket.

From a previous thread...

I currently clip mine to a small lower right side D ring on my BCD.

You should not be having an issue with it unraveling. If so, you need to examine the way you secure it.

It should be rolled up tight and clipped off with a double ender.
CAM00014.jpg

CAM00015.jpg

I like to connect my finger spool to my SMB prior to the dive.

I then hold the spool and the SMB together using this bungee loop I picked up at Home Depot that has a ball attached to it. Then wrap that bungee loop around the SMB a few times and then the SMB will never (at least has not yet) unroll on you when jumping in.
CAM00016.jpg

CAM00017.jpg

The pre-rig configuration that works best for me. See pic. Tight, streamlined, easy to deploy and easy to clip to my back right D-Ring on the BCD.

smb.jpg

The pre-rig configuration that works best for me. See pic. Tight, streamlined, easy to deploy and easy to clip to my back right D-Ring on the BCD.

View attachment 177899

the main problem I have with this picture is that if the double ender slides in the direction of the gate opening, the gate can open on the edge of the spool. It can also happen by putting the double ender in the other direction but less likely since it would be hitting the side of the spool instead of the edge.

The other problem I have is with feeding the line through the hole is that it is difficult to get the line tight since you need a little slack to feed the end through. Either way, there are three ways for the line to come off.

1. the double ender releases from the hole on the spool
2. the double ender releases the line
3. the line has slack and slips over the side of the spool

Tight line prevents number three. Neither feeding the line through the hole or not will prevent 1 or 2.

edit: after thinking a bit more about it, realized that of course feeding the line through would prevent number 1 provided the line stayed attached :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom