Is this a Bad Dive Plan for Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now I just have to prepare for the angry mob to descend on me since I admitted to using a reef hook!

---------- Post Merged at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Nothing wrong with using a reef hook, less damage than hanging on to coral with gloved hands IMHO, use one myself on occasion :wink:

I booked the August dive package at Blue Angel Resort. There are lots of positive reviews of this dive op.

Wow. Not saying you're wrong or inaccurate in regard to what you are relating - but if what you say is really true, that really puts into question all the other divers who glow about them and indicates they are willing to overlook their safety in trade for a cheap dive op/vacation. Thank you for posting the name.

Getting a refund from the BA should not be a problem, I think you need at least 48 hours notice to receive the whole amount.
I have dove well over 50+ plus dives with the BA in the last 2 two years. I checked my log book just now and most of those are 59-67 minutes of SI, the others are 54,49,56,54,54,56,48,48,56.
Of course I'm always the first one in and down and the very last one to get back in the boat.
I use a small reef hook, just an AL rod to stabilize myself in the sand, (parrot fish poop), so as not to fight the current.

Getting a refund from the BA should not be a problem, I think you need at least 48 hours notice to receive the whole amount.
I have dove well over 50+ plus dives with the BA in the last 2 two years. I checked my log book just now and most of those are 59-67 minutes of SI, the others are 54,49,56,54,54,56,48,48,56.
Of course I'm always the first one in and down and the very last one to get back in the boat.
Their package for August is so cheap that there's not much to refund but I am sure they will cooperate. Thanks for the SI records. I bet those 48 min SI were after shallow first dives, and they do happen.

I have sent another email to request to speak with Eva directly. DandyDon, would you mind checking your logbook and see what your surface interval times were like when you dove with them before?
Oh gosh, I don't keep notes, and it's been 3 years now. I don't have Eva's email addy, but you can message her at https://www.facebook.com/eva.k.rasmussen.7

Or PM the head Instructor there View Profile: mjatkins - ScubaBoard

So to summarize MY dive plan for using our Suuntos while diving in Cozumel:

Dive air for the first dive (likely to exceed MOD on EAN32% if the right conditions are right and we go to the sites we want)
Dive EAN36% for the second dive (with a MOD of 95 ft)
Do a 1 minute stop every 10 fton the multilevel dive
(as slow ascents minimizes the 'penalty' imposed on repetitive NDL's by Suunto)
Do a 3 minute deep safety stop at 1/2 MOD
Do the recommended 3 minute 15 ft safety stop
Do our best to entertain our fellow divers in our group during the SI
(to extend it as close to 60 minutes as possible)
Take our time to do an extra long buddy check for our second dive
(to be the last ones in to get wet... unless there are other Suunto divers in our group)

I think if we stick to these strategies, it will be all good, and I will not have to be exiled from Cozumel.

The big issue I have with this plan is the part thats bolded and underlined.......Doing 1 min stops per 10ft from the bottom upis the opposite of a good idea. You will actually do a fair bit more on gassing.

From your max depth, your off gas ceiling is about 1.5 ata above. You want to get to this point fairly quickly, NO SLOWER than 30ft/min

Once you hit that off gas ceiling, thats when you want to slow er right down as thats when you will be getting rid of that pesky nitrogen. NO FASTER then 30ft/min then.

Here is a great read from Steve Lewis about ascent behavior:

THE FIVE WAYPOINTS AND SIMPLE ASCENT BEHAVIOR « Doppler's Tech Diving Blog

Other then that, have a great time in Coz, don't sweat the computer issue too much, my wife dives a sunnto, I used to, now a tec2g, and Oceanic as a back up......never and issue. Also i dont think diving 32% will be an issue on first dives.....the first dive may be deep but all the cool things to see besides wrecks/devils throat, are shallower then 100ft

I have sent another email to request to speak with Eva directly. DandyDon, would you mind checking your logbook and see what your surface interval times were like when you dove with them before?

Hi Gasgirl,
My name is Matthew Atkins, I am the head of the training department at Blue Angel. Eva has asked me to respond to your concerns, as she is away at the moment involved in some business meetings, and is unable to respond personally. First, let me thank you for having this conversation. We are very dedicated to diver safety and education, and it's through conversations like this that many people learn and grow as divers. That is quite possibly the best thing that Scuba Board has to offer.

To address your concern about surface intervals. I have met with our reservations person who sent you the information. I have also reviewed the email conversation that the two of you had, and I think we have had a slight misunderstanding due to a bit of a poorly worded response. We would never ask a diver to enter the water for their repetitive dive before they are comfortable doing so. That having been said, from an instructor point of view, 60 minutes is not a number that we insist on. Our dives are chosen by the divers and divemasters together. We are not one of the shops who will tell you where you are going, but instead we are open to going where the group chooses, assuming that the weather permits, and the divemaster is comfortable that the divers on board are all qualified to safely execute the dive requested. Because of this philosophy, we sometimes do a combination of first and second dives that require more than a 60 minute surface interval. Conversely, we also do combinations that require much less than a 60 minute surface interval. Our surface intervals are then dictated by the dive profiles of the divers on board vs. the dive sites chosen. For example. when we dive Punta Sur, or Columbia Deep, we routinely do Columbia Shallows as the second dive. Because of the shallowness of this dive (average 25 ft) a surface interval is very rarely required at all according to to the algorithms that the tables and dive computers are based on. We then often choose to do a quick surface interval, then get into the water so that our clients can enjoy the extended bottom time that the shallow dive affords them, while avoiding an unnecessary extra hour sitting on the boat. It is our experience that most of our divers appreciate this approach to surface interval management, but again we will not ever ask someone to re-enter the water before they are well rested and comfortable doing so. I apologize if the impression was given that we may enter the water before a diver is comfortable in order to accommodate the other folks in the group. Nothing is farther from the truth.

I see that you are considering diving Nitrox while you are here with us. I routinely dive air on each dive, and have no problems avoiding decompression obligations, and I dive with a Suunto also :) I am a fan of people diving Nitrox to add an additional buffer of conservatism, especially on the second dive. I think with this approach, you have no need to be concerned about short surface intervals or going into decompression situations, it sounds like you are a safety minded diver who is making all the right decisions. I would ask that while you are here, if the group you are with starts preparing for a dive you are not comfortable with due to surface interval, depth, or for any reason what so ever, please let us know. Your safety is our first priority, and we always have a way to address problems if we know what they are.

Of course, if you wish to cancel your reservation you are welcome to do so, and I have outlined our cancellation policy for you in my email to you. I am hopeful though that you will join us as planned, and I am confident that you will have a wonderful time. I look forward to personally greeting you here, and hearing your full feedback on your experience while you are with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. And again, thank you for having this discussion, these things are important.

Sincerely,
Matthew Atkins

Find a better dive operation. Sounds like a rack and stack rush operation where the "goal" is to be out as early as possible. There is no reason to NOT have a SI of at least an hour. Safety wise its highly recommended.
String, I know you are an instructor also. Would you please show me where the manual and/or tables make this statement. I am surprised to find that there would be a surface interval credit table with less than an hour on it if this statement were true. I think you have made a very strong statement that is your opinion, and you have a right to it. But as a professional instructor I think such knee jerk statements about an operation that you do not know, and that is following industry recommended practices is very irresponsible. That of course is a strongly worded statement that is my opinion, and I have a right to it. :)

Matt,

My wife and I have only spent about 15 days with BA over the last few years. You guys have a great operation. We try to book with, what I feel, are the best three OP's we've had the pleasure of diving with. Living Underwater, Aldora and Blue Angel. It's always a quality experience with your guys. I just wish we could come down more often....

Back
Top Bottom