Is this a good rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I've changed my mind about the BC, now I'm going with a SeaQuest Balance without the Surelock system (cause it knocks about 200 bucks off), its smaller and seems like a better BC in general. I'm still on the fence as far as computers are concerned, Now I'm considering either going with the Suunto Cobra (570 with compass and quick disconnect) or the Suunto Vytec wireless wrist (a hefty 850). I heard that the Oceanics have a lot of problems, is this true?

funkyspelunker:
Well I've changed my mind about the BC, now I'm going with a SeaQuest Balance without the Surelock system (cause it knocks about 200 bucks off), its smaller and seems like a better BC in general. I'm still on the fence as far as computers are concerned, Now I'm considering either going with the Suunto Cobra (570 with compass and quick disconnect) or the Suunto Vytec wireless wrist (a hefty 850). I heard that the Oceanics have a lot of problems, is this true?

I haven't heard of any problems with the Oceanic computers. As for myself, I'm getting an Aeris Elite which is practically identical to the Oceanic VT Pro but I like the Aeris display layout better. The Vytec, VT Pro, and Aeris Elite are all fantastic computers though. I haven't really seen any negative feedback about any of them.

I don't know about the aeris but the Suunto is a choice of a lot of divers I questioned before I bought my Vytec. You need to ask yourself what kind of diving do you want to progress to.Such as are you going to the tech. end or strictly rec. If you are even thinking about tech. I would go with the Vytec and a B/P & W. I purchased a BC without even considering the B/P & W and now am saving my money for that purchase. I did buy the Scubapro Mk25 S600 but stupid me opted for an Air 2. Should have went with an octo. I didn't ask the questions on a well informed board like this I just took the LDS opinion. This is just my $.02 Good luck and dive safe. Butch :54:

So the Oceanic VT Pro can only do one gas, would that be more appropriate for rec diving? What exactly is tech diving and why do you need a backplate and wings? I am going to buy the Seaquest Balance BC and I don't think that'd work for tech diving as you describe it, I was also going to get a combo inflator, the Atomic SS1 and can you please explain to me why you'd need a regular octo eventually? sorry I'm new to all this.

Tech diving can include cave diving, wreck diving penetration, and usually includes accelerated decompression using high oxygen content gas (50% and 100% are common). Basically going beyond the recreational limits for depth and time. If this is something you are not planning on doing (lets face it, not EVERYONE goes on to be a tech diver), then dont worry about it. I think the SQ Balance is a good choice for a BC. I dont like the integrated octo thing, because of the difficulty you may have with an OOA situation. It is much easier to deal with an OOA if you have a real second stage instead of the integrated one. Besides, they are more expensive anyways...

Also, the hoseless computers are nice, if you like that sort of thing, but they are pricey, and not as reliable as a simple brass and glass pressure gauge, and wrist mounted timer or computer...

Good Luck...

uh oops, I guess I've already been tech diving but didn't know it, I've done various caves, tunnels and been inside wrecks though no one specifically trained me to do so. So is the SQ okay for that kind of stuff? also what is OOA?

As long as you dont plan on diving doubles, the Balance will be fine. Of course, you should be properly trained before you do any kind of overhead diving (caves or wrecks). Redundancy is very important in those types of diving (hence doubles).

OOA= Out Of Air...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom