is this class worth it...Advanced Buoyancy Clinic (ABC)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoingScuba

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of taking it but I fgured for $100 I could read a book and practice the skills myself. I much rather take other courses towards my master card. I do not plan on taking every course out there as it is not that cheap. I probably could buy books online for much cheaper and self study alot of this stuff but wouldnt get the card for it. What does the forum say?

is there a book online that i can dowload to help with Advanced Buoyancy? Any experiences out there?

You can't learn buoyancy from a book -- you have to learn it by diving. Some people get a lot of value out of watching and modeling an instructor; others like to have things explained, and some people can learn by reading.

There are several good buoyancy classes and tips out there on the web -- DevonDiver here has one, and so does Gareth Burrows. But it can be very useful to have someone actually watch you and see what you are doing and give you immediate feedback. For example, if part of your buoyancy issue is that your fins are pointing down and you are kicking yourself up, you may not be aware of it, and an equally inexperienced dive buddy may not know to look for that as an issue.

Depends on you and on the instructor.

You: Is your buoyancy perfect? Are you able to hold a depth without moving a muscle? Can you do it for a minute? How about ten?

Instructor: Have you seen him dive? Is his buoyancy sorted out? Ask him to demonstrate not moving a muscle for a minute... ten?

If you're sorted out then it's not worth while. If he's not sorted out then it's not worth while.

If you think you're sorted out start doing tasks while you hold your stops - air share, change the mask on your face for the one in your pocket. Do both at the same time. Everyone can always stand to improve their buoyancy as eventually, in a stressful situation, it'll go to crap making everything else harder.

OW class should have covered how to weight correctly and the basics of buoyancy and how to move yourself in the water column. It's your call whether to sort it out yourself or hire someone to help you learn faster. I would find out how much, and what kind of individual instruction you will recieve.

If you own your own gear a hundred bucks gives you a lot of air for practice. If you rent, instruction can decrease your time in the water (and rental fees) to gain the same competence.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

See if it includes video feedback. If not, then find another instructor.

Instructor: Have you seen him dive? Is his buoyancy sorted out? Ask him to demonstrate not moving a muscle for a minute... ten?

Holding depth can be taught, as can how to trim out to remain horizontal, but the reality is that nobody can hold position in all axis and location in the water indefinitely without moving anything (unless you're in a pool with the pumps turned off) because it's necessary to compensate for the effects of current.

flots.

---------- Post added ----------

I probably could buy books online for much cheaper and self study alot of this stuff but wouldnt get the card for it. What does the forum say?

Pretty much any good diver would be happy to help you sort this out in an afternoon, for nothing more than the cost of some pizza and a few beers.

flots.

I know I can't hold STILL for ten minutes. I can stay in the same place, same depth, and same trim, but even Georgitsis moves a fin now and then . . .

Back
Top Bottom