Isla Mujeres and Holbox?? Bring gear or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Killmer

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to bring my Mother on vacation and was hoping to get some diving in while there. Does anyone know if i should even bring my dive gear? I don't want to lug my 50lb gear case unless i'll be able to dive.

K

There's no diving in Holbox. Considering the bag drag you'll be doing getting to/from Cancun - Holbox - Isla Mujeres, if you'll only be in Isla a few days I wouldn't bother with the full gear.

I used to go to Isla Mujeres a couple times a year but my last trip was about 6 yrs ago. The reefs were nice, healthy and enjoyable dives. Not much current. Nothing as spectacular as Cozumel.

There's snorkeling in both places so you could bring the snorkel gear and maybe your computer and reg in carryon, then just rent a BCD if you want to do a couple dives in Isla.

Good advice.....thanks!!

Spratman:
I always take everything except weights and tanks. If all you are planning is snorkeling when you get the chance, then don't.

With my own gear I don't need to worry about how it was serviced, when, trying to readjust my trim, etc.

Have a great trip!
me too. i was just in isla mujeres, and while it was a small amount of effort to bring my gear, it really was pretty easy. my bag has wheels, but no handle, so its sort of a pita, but i got at least a half dozen dives in, during late december, which had some storms.

besides, you should definitly bring your mask and fins. there is really nice snorkling that you wont want to miss. if you have a reg that you like, i would recommend brining it. i prefer mine over rental regs, and my computer is on my console (yeah, bad choice, need to get a wrist mount, etc. at the moment thats where it is though) which i like just for my own info, and because it records time, depth, SI, and temp info for logging.

so whats left? BCD? wetsuit? if you have the room and like your gear, bring it, otherwise, rent there. on isla mujeres, the dive ops i saw had jacket style bcd's. i much prefer my rear inflation BCD, so i bring mine. ymmv.

Had the same issue when I went to Australia a couple of years ago on business. Knew I was only able to make one to two quick dives and did not want to lug all the gear around.

Took my prescription mask, my dive computer and my c-card. Purchased a log book insert at the dive shop. Did two almost hour long dives in a rental wetsuit, with their BC, fins and regulators. No problem.

If I had planned on doing more diving I certainly would have taken more gear.

Soggy:
Cozumel is only a short boat ride away from Isla Mujeres. If you want to dive, you can make it happen with a minimum of hassle.

There's no ferry service from Isla Mujeres to Cozumel. You've got to take a ferry back to the mainland, then drive down to Playa del Carmen where you can catch a ferry to Cozumel. Depending on connections and waiting time, you can plan on at least about 3hrs to get from Isla to Cozumel.

scubawife:
There's no ferry service from Isla Mujeres to Cozumel. You've got to take a ferry back to the mainland, then drive down to Playa del Carmen where you can catch a ferry to Cozumel. Depending on connections and waiting time, you can plan on at least about 3hrs to get from Isla to Cozumel.

You're right, I was being an idiot. I sometimes get my Cancun and Cozumel trips confused since they were so similar and back-to-back.

But, there is good diving off Cancun, too :)

I agree, Soggy. Cancun gets a bad rap because many people get dumped off on Chitales Reef which was in bad shape when I first dove in Nov 04. However, if you keep that in mind, you can dive some nice reefs.

We snorkeled quite a bit on the beach in front of the resort. Played with a cuddlefish for nearly half an hour, a couple of cudas and some skates. The last quarter seemed to be really bad down there. My buddy that owns a dive op told me that the port is still closed most of the week because of 25 knot winds from the east. :(

Back
Top Bottom