Isla Mujeres dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did not know you could buy a padi certificate. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? I also just assumed that a padi shop would only have padi certified dive masters/etc and follow padi guidelines. I guess that's why I always come here to get recommendations for the best/safest dive shops to wherever I am going. Thanks for the info.

Hi Traci,

Please don't misunderstand what I have written. You don't buy a PADI certificate, you have to fulfill certain requirements laid out by PADI to to be recognized as a "PADI dive shop, scuba diving shop, dive resort or scuba dive shop., then you maintain the requirements and pay a yearly fee to PADI to keep the rating.

I am fairly certain that Aqua follows PADI guidelines etc. and use certified DM's and Instructors. Please don't misunderstand what I've said. It is just that, to my knowledge they don't have fulltime staff.

I have been travelling to Isla Mujeres since the spring of 2007. My first dive ever was with Aqua adventures on a discover scuba dive. I came home and got certified and was on the fast track to OWSI. I finished in near record time Just over 6 months. That’s the fastest PADI will allow. Luckily I had quit my job that summer and was able to do nothing but dive. I have spent many months on Isla since that time, I consider myself a Isla aficionado. I have dived at least 50 dives with Aqua adventures the latest was the summer of 2009. I must admit the quality of the dive masters has suffered lately. If they still employ Wilbert, well Wilbert is awesome. The claim they are a front and send you with other operators is complete BS. I know the owner, Sonia, she is American and legit. Donna used to help her run it and did a great job. They own their own boat, permits, and gear. I would have only dived with Coral or Aqua Adventures but I guess Coral is gone. There may be other operators that are good but be careful. I saw someone mention seahawk...sketchy and not even a PADI operator despite the illegal use of the logo. I called PADI North America when I was last on the island to confirm who was and was not legit. Aqua adventures was, Sea hawk was not. PADI asked me to take pictures of the illegal use of their logo and send it to them. I did. According to Sonia they have complained before but little can be done. I would consider other operators on the island but buyer beware. If you’re not a competent diver, you need to dive more! Yeah but really if you’re not comfortable in your own skills dive with Aqua Adventures. Aqua's rental gear is pretty used, but I always bring my own stuff. My wife has rented thier gear a few times. Most rental gear outside of intense dive areas in MX seems to be pretty ...well used. If you know your stuff , have your own gear minus tanks, don't worry just get a operator that has good tanks and good air and a decent boat to take you out to many of the fabulous spots. As a certified diver you should always take care of your own safety don't rely on others. But if you have to or want to I recommend Aqua Adventures.

Isla is different than Coz, but in many ways it is just as beautiful. Manchones is chill and very nice 30 ft, tons of fish occasional nurse shark, rays, and turtles. Punta Sur has nice current loads of sea stars, an old galleon's anchor, cannon, and cannon balls. Punta Negra (Cancun hotel zone) is a great 70 foot reef with lots of life, media luna cool topography some current, and many others. Its a great place to dive. I never get sick of manchones, and I have been a spoiled diver so I don't compliment places easily. Diving on Isla is a great value and awsome experience.

I just have to say if you get the chance you MUST go down to Hidden Worlds Cenote park and Jungle tours just south of Akumal and dive the cenotoes dos ojos, bat cave, stomach of the snake, they are unreal. I had been to the Yucatan dozens of time before I did the Cenote Dive. WOW! what a dummy I was. It is worth the time, money and "hassle". I will be back diving them in just over a month! Can't wait. If anyone ever want travel advice to Isla I am happy to provide it just shoot me an email. scubaswenson@hotmail.com

Okay, now I am curious because I always heard that visibility was only half of that compared to the waters around Cozumel...to be specific, only around 50 feet. Since you don't have a website, please provide more info about the types of dives, visibility, rates (diving and hotel) as I am told that you do not yet have a website. We were thinking about going back to Cozumel end of May '10, but are may change our mind should we like your info.

Thanks a bunch.

The viz on Isla is comparable to Cozumel. Coz has more current and that can help improve viz. But 50 FT!? NO WAY. The worst I have ever seen it was about 2 years ago during a plankton bloom. Viz was about 60-75 feet. 100 foot viz is not uncommon. I just got back from a cruise that hit Coz. I didn't dive. I will be back there next month for 8 days. I will dive Coz, Isla, Akumal, Cenotes and mabey Banco Chincorro. I will report.

I am super interested in your operation. I will be on Isla off and on next week (March 16-24, 2010). I would love to give you a try. I am familiar with the hotel you are at. I have stayed there before. The URL you gave for your website isn't working. I would like to get more info. How do I do that?

Hi Scubasvensonn. Thanks for your interest in my operation but unlukely I'm relocating my business.
After this winter my favoutrites dives are completely gone. The wild side is covered by the sand removed by the ships that were draining the bottoms to fill the Riviera Maya's beachs. It was a biological disaster. I' moving to Playa del Carmen cause I was a little bit tired of the market of the Island. The hotel where I was (I went away) is an authentic bandit's cove. DON'T GO AT NABALAM FOR ANY REASON IN THE WORLD: the new owner is a thieve bandit, the hotel is too expensive for the services and the poor quality offered. I lost about 20 divers reservations in one month due to the hotel bad management. So, in june I'll be operative once again, just in the season of the whale sharks. Please for any further communication write me at guidofrancisco67@hotmail.com

I've been following this thread for a while, heading to Isla for Spring Break March 19-26. We booked with Aqua Adventures, Sonia has been real helpful and accomodating. The trip is mainly for relaxation with the fam but we can hardly go without doing a little diving! After reading the above, I'm glad we are bringing our own gear. It's a PITA when we are only diving for three days with the weight restrictions and extra charges for luggage but worth the peace of mind. Scubaswenson, we'll be staying at the Palace Resort, maybe we'll see you there!

Hands down Enrique's Unique Dives! Dove with them for 25 dives in October and they were phenomenal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom