Isla Mujeres or Holbox for Whale Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - Debating staying in either Isla Mujeres or Holbox to snorkel with whale sharks this July. Any comments on pros and cons of each?

In Isla Mujeres, which hotel has best snorkeling from their beach? Currently considering Nautibeach and Privilege Aluxes. Would like to spend less than $150 per night.

I see Coral Divers has well-recommended, but they have changed name to Carey Dive Center, and Enrique (much respected) now has his own Dive Op. Any comments how Carey Dive Center and Enrique are doing? Are they doing whale shark snorkel? Also, how close or far are dive shops from hotels? Any place that will lug or store dive gear for you?

That's a lot to ask, I know, but gotta get a running start on this! Thanks!

Hi all - Debating staying in either Isla Mujeres or Holbox to snorkel with whale sharks this July. Any comments on pros and cons of each?

In Isla Mujeres, which hotel has best snorkeling from their beach? Currently considering Nautibeach and Privilege Aluxes. Would like to spend less than $150 per night.

I see Coral Divers has well-recommended, but they have changed name to Carey Dive Center, and Enrique (much respected) now has his own Dive Op. Any comments how Carey Dive Center and Enrique are doing? Are they doing whale shark snorkel? Also, how close or far are dive shops from hotels? Any place that will lug or store dive gear for you?

That's a lot to ask, I know, but gotta get a running start on this! Thanks!

Hola from Cancun, if you wish, go to Manta Divers! Cancun! Cenote! Cozumel! Whale Sharks! - Home and call us toll free we can get you to the whalesharks out of isla mujeres with one of the best operators in town, let us know
hope this info helps

I would go to Isla Mujeres. I have been to both, Isla Holbox is nice, but there is no scuba there. The whale shark tours started at Holbox but now there are more guides for whale sharks on Isla Mujeres. Lots of people offer the whales shark tours. I go to Isla Mujeres 4-5 times a year and I always dive with Enrique. He is the best, always a good time with him. I am going July 3-18 and he is taking us on a Whale shark trip. You can only snorkel with the whale sharks, I have done it 2 times, it is amazing. Those whale sharks are huge, 20-45 feet long and you just swim right up to them while they are on the surface feeding. I will do it this year, but I still got scuba diving. Have fun.....

Hi,

Enrique is doing well. I dived with him in January and April this year and will be back at the end of July. IMHO he is still the best to dive with on the island. As far as Carey goes the only ex Coral person I know is Gilberto, not sure how they are doing, Gilberto was on his way to England. Cristal divers is doing OK. Gabby one of the captains from Coral (one of the best on the island) and his brother Alvaro, his other brothers are running it. Also David from Belgium is working there. They are on the main drag (Medina) around the corner from the old Coral (now Carey) shop.

Enrique is on the main drag as well. He has a setup at La Tigena restaraunt. All shops are close to Nauti Beach and Privileges.

Not sure if any of these guys are doing whale sharks though. You can email Enrique and he will let you know. If he isn't he will know someone who is. There are only a few who have licenses. here is his site

Diving Isla Mujeres - Cancun, Diving Cancun, Diving Quintana Roo Mexico, scuba Isla Mujeres, diving Isla Mujeres, spear fishing, whale shark, adventures,cancun scuba diving, cancun diving, scuba diving cancun, diving cancun, scuba diving, cancun, div

If you are diving I would go with Enrique. Say Sam and Rachel recommended him.

Have fun

Trig,

To answer your other questions about Isla:

You would be hard pressed to spend up to $150.00/night, especially in July. Check lostoasis.net for some cheap pricing. I stayed at Villa Kiin for my Whale Shark trip and it was about $60.00. Granted it was more like a hotel room (cabana), but it was right on the best snorkeling from North Beach. As far as lugging gear, rent a golf cart as soon as your off the ferry. Then its no big deal. Most everything is with-in walking distance ( or golf cart distance if lugging gear) in downtown.

The snorkeling on Isla will not be what you expect. There isn't the vast reef system as there is elsewhere in Riviera Maya, but it is fun. Take a look at some trip pix: rixclix.com/akumal/album/Excursions/IslaMujeres/

Good luck and have fun

Thank you all for the great responses! I think we have decided to stay on Isla Mujeres and do the whale shark trip with Ramon of Searious Tours. Have any of you gone with him?

We are thinking about staying at Nautibeach condos - any comments?

Thanks again, trig

Trig,

To answer your other questions about Isla:
The snorkeling on Isla will not be what you expect. There isn't the vast reef system as there is elsewhere in Riviera Maya, but it is fun. Take a look at some trip pix: rixclix.com/akumal/album/Excursions/IslaMujeres/

Good luck and have fun
If so, maybe it would be an option for the OP to stay on the mainland and use one of the ops out of cancun or the surrounding area, or is the shore dives/snorkling from there similar to Isla? I kinda never checked the first few yards from the beaches when I was there, so I wouldnt know.
The Cancun local dives was surprisingly good for the smack people who love cozumel talk about them though (imo, except that they are shallower and the corals are smaller, they where better lookign and had more sealife - but that was in 2007).
I did the whalesharks out of Cancun and they where definetly one of the most impressive and humbling experienses Ive ever had. You might think you have an idea about how big these things are from watching them on TV, but youre SO WRONG! :D

Thanks Tigerman. Our plan of staying in Isla Mujeres was to have a shorter trip to the whale sharks. Is the trip from Cancun much longer than going directly from Isla Mujeres? Thanks.

Thanks Tigerman. Our plan of staying in Isla Mujeres was to have a shorter trip to the whale sharks. Is the trip from Cancun much longer than going directly from Isla Mujeres? Thanks.
Thats a question better answered by someone else, but the trip out from Cancun was quite acceptable by my standards. Ive gone further by dive boats quite regularly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom