Isla Mujeres or Holbox for Whale Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the great responses! I think we have decided to stay on Isla Mujeres and do the whale shark trip with Ramon of Searious Tours. Have any of you gone with him?

We are thinking about staying at Nautibeach condos - any comments?

Thanks again, trig

I tried a trip w/Ramone in '07 but got cancelled due to lack of interest. It was just as well, because a huge storm hit the morning of the trip and it would have been a bad boat ride. I also give great credit to Ramone, as he went out of his way to get my Deposit back to me (it was about 9:45 at night and he knocked on my cabana door!)

Nautibeach is a good place to stay. During the week the crowds are not bad, besides the Cancun day trippers. The weekends are crowded with locals from the mainland enjoying a day off.

There will not be much difference in the boat ride. But, I prefer to stay on Isla. Nautibeach is a nice place, but there was some construction there awhile back. You may ask about it over on the link i sent, if it is finished. I like a quiet, remote place & stay on the South side. Venture into town for your meals, etc., rather that always eating at the restaurant at Nautibeach. One tip,,, if you have kids going with you, expect to see some nudity at Nauti.

Excuse me for asking one more question about this trip. We'll be in Playa Del Carmen for the week of 7/18-7/25. Is it quicker to go to Holbox or to Isla Mujeres from PDC? Or should I start my vacation on 7/18 staying on one of those 2 islands and whale sharking in the AM on 7/19? Then traveling to PDC that evening. I'll have a baby with us (with a babysitter) and don't want to spend too much time away from him. Thanks so all SBers!!!

There will not be much difference in the boat ride. But, I prefer to stay on Isla. Nautibeach is a nice place, but there was some construction there awhile back. You may ask about it over on the link i sent, if it is finished. I like a quiet, remote place & stay on the South side. Venture into town for your meals, etc., rather that always eating at the restaurant at Nautibeach. One tip,,, if you have kids going with you, expect to see some nudity at Nauti.

Thanks Capt. We decided to stay at Priveleges Aluxes instead - we got it for almost the same price. Do you know anything about it?

Scubakimmi - I don't know anything about PDC, so I can't help you there.

I will be heading down to Holbox in July for my fifth year in a row to swim with the Whale sharks. I have never done it from Isla Mujeras. Can anyone tell me if the boat ride from the dock to the sharks is longer or shorter from Isla Mujeras? It takes about 1 hour from the dock in Holbox.

Haven't been yet. But I've been told the boat ride is the same. The difference in trip time is from the airport/hotel for many (us). For example, it takes 2-3 hours to get to Holbox's ferry dock from the Cancun airport, whereas it takes 30 minutes to the Isla Mujeres ferry dock. IM is also alot closer to Playa Del Carmen, which is where our main location will be for the week. Again, this is just what I've read on forums and Web sites. I'm no expert.

When are you going again? You are whale sharking with Ramon, right?

We are going on a whale shark tour, but I don't think it will be with Ramon. There have been some posts on other websites that there are problems with his buisness and accusations of people paying in advance and noone is around to take them. We don't know the whole story yet.

Back
Top Bottom