Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looking for a larger dive boat in Isla Mujeres (not a Panga). Does anyone know of a dive shop in Isla Mujeres that has a boat similar to a Newton 36. I’ve got some disabled Veterans coming down this summer and we need a bigger boat to spread out.
Thx!

I went diving with Aqua Adventures in January this year. Sharon is awesome to work with and they are a very good operation. The boat captains and the guides are all great. I've attached a YouTube link to a short video of the night dive from the boat so you can see what the boat looks like. You can back roll in or step to the back and do a giant stride. The engine is in the center of the boat, and the aisle between the wall of the motor cabinet and bench is wide enough for one person at a time to walk.

Once you get off the ferry, you can hire a bicycle taxi to get you to Aqua Adventures and La Vida Dulce, and they work for tips. It was very helpful because of the cobblestone streets and uneven pavement, and dragging dive gear even for a few blocks would have been difficult.

Sharon can also put together a dive and stay package with La Vida Dulce, which is a B&B type place, and it's right next door to the shop. It's centrally located downtown with shops, restaurants, banks, and a grocery store. La Vida Dulce has a small kitchen with a microwave but no cooktop, at least the unit I was in. And it's air conditioned.

It's a short walk from the shop to the marina, about three blocks. Here's a few pictures from my trip. I spent 10 days of diving there, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sharon Teter
Owner, Master Diver | Aqua Adventures Eco Divers
phone: +1-210-790-9533 +1-512-633-8242
email: sharon@diveislamujeres.com

Attachments

• P1090343.JPG
    P1090343.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 39
  • P1090345.JPG
    P1090345.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 39
  • P1090375.JPG
    P1090375.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 57
  • P1090389.JPG
    P1090389.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 42
I could only post 4 pictures, so here's a couple more.

Attachments

• P1090366.JPG
    P1090366.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 39
  • P1150052.JPG
    P1150052.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 41
  • P1150071 (2).JPG
    P1150071 (2).JPG
    111 KB · Views: 43
  • P1160128.JPG
    P1160128.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 42
Don’t know if it helps any, but I dove with Aqua World in Cancun two years ago and they made a stop off at Isla Mujeres to pick up some divers. Don’t know boat comparisons, but they were big boats IMO. Might be worth checking out.

I can highly recommend PocNa Dive Center located in Selina Hostel at the end of Matamoros. We took my 81 year old father out diving a couple of years ago and they were great. He is, by no means, disabled but he is a little wobbly.

I can also attest to the dive-a-bility of the Amalia, AquaAdventures' dive boat. I spent many years diving from her when she was under different ownership. If you can get to dive with Pablo, do it. He is one of the funniest and personable instructors on the island. Also, he is a compassionate and attentive conversationalist and I always enjoyed spending time with him. And a very good sax player.

Back
Top Bottom