Island Dive Fest or 2011 A Dive Odyssey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a quick shower at the dock it was time for the Island Dive Fest Dock Party! Everyone had a great time just hanging out talking, and getting to know each other a little better. The food was fantastic. As usual Captain Gary made his world famous wings. This year he added Cuban pork sandwiches to the menu which are now world famous too.

I didn’t have my backup camera with my land lenses, so I have no pictures from the party.

Sunday morning May 22nd soon dawned. We were up a bit earlier this morning because we had to pack up and check out of the hotel before we went across the street to the shop. For a bit of variety I set up my camera with my 105mm VR lens for some macro.

Once again we were aboard the Republic Diver with Captain Clint and Daniel.

Dive 10 was on Molasses Reef. We tied up to the mooring ball in the area called Permit Ledge. Marvel, Beth and I didn’t wait around for the briefing. We were the first ones in the water.

Conditions were calm, and visibility was really good. Permit Ledge is an area honeycombed with swim throughs and high spur and groove corals. I love this area. I stayed with Marvel and Beth for a while, but since I was shooting macro I soon lost them as I stopped for long periods on some subjects.

I was all alone down one of the channels running between coral ridges when an Eagle Ray swam slowly past me. I just floated there and watched it make its passage through the reef.

I eventually made it back to the boat and met back up with Beth and Marvel. We were the last ones back on board.

Max depth 23’, total dive time 75 minutes, water temp was 82*, and I was on 30%.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dive 11 was just a little down the reef still on Molasses. We tied up to a mooring ball on an area called Eagle Ray Alley. Once again we were the first ones in the water.

This time it didn’t take any time at all before I was alone with my little subjects. Near the winch hole I found a field of Yellowhead Jawfish. I settled down onto the sand to work my way close to them. After shooting them for a while I worked my way back into the shallows of the reef. There I found another pair of Lettuce Sea Slugs Elysia crispate. I spent quite a while shooting them.

On my way back to the boat I ran into Jim and Krista who were on the Aquatic Diver which was tied up near us. I tried to get them to come with me to the Lettuce Sea Slugs, but they needed to get back to their boat.

While killing the end of my dive under the Republic Diver I was shooting a Rough Head Blenny, and I noticed something move. Their on the bottom right next to me was a Lancer Dragonette. I had never seen one out on the reefs before. I had only seen them at the Bridge. He only let me get off 3 shots before it was gone.

Max depth 31’, total dive time 70 minutes, water temp was 82*, and I was on 30%.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back at the dock I was eating lunch with the group. Marvel asked me to stay for the afternoon dives which were also going to be 2 shallow reefs. I checked with Brenda, and there had been a cancellation so there was room on the boat. I put my gear back aboard the Republic Diver.

Dive 12 was on Conch Reef. Beth, Marvel and I were in the water as they started the site briefing. This time I didn’t even try to stay with them. I made my way out into the small rubble area just off the reef looking for little critters.

This site was rich with macro subjects if you just looked in the right places. I even spent some time out in the sand shooting the many Conch that give the sight its name.

Max depth 25’, total dive time 73 minutes, water temp was 84*, and I was on 21%.

***WARNING!!! THIS PICTURE IS RATED NC-17***
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Re: 2011 A Dive Odyssey
Dive 13 was at Dolphin Reef. I had never done this site before. It was a relaxing dive loaded with lobster. As soon as we were down I handed my camera to Beth and danced under water with Marvel. This was her 600th dive!

I found a small coral head with 3 Sailfin Blennies. I was never able to shoot one of them while it was displaying.

It seemed all too soon that we were back at the boat. All that was left was the ride back to the dock and packing up the gear. Island Dive Fest 2011 was coming to an end for me.

Max depth 24’, total dive time 71 minutes, water temp was 84*, and I was on 21%.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back at the dock after the dive gear was loaded in the truck we all made arrangements to go get dinner together. After several restaurant choices we decided on Chad’s just up the road form the shop. We sat and ate and laughed putting off the end of a great weekend for as long as possible.

Old friends I dove with: Beth (Mermaid223), Marvel, Joyce (Joystershell), Mike, (Mega Mikey), Dan, Betsy, Dave, Jim (Jammin’ Beach), Krista (KBeck), El Orans, El Zee, and anyone else I might have forgotten.

New friends I dove with: Bob (bygolly), Bob (Tortuga Tom), Michelle (Arcanthurus), Sage (ShrkB8t). Let me know if I missed anyone.

Now that my dive gear is cleaned, dried and put away. And that I have gotten some rest I am starting to look forward to Island Dive Fest 2012. Or maybe………. Island Dive Fest (fall) 2011? Who’s in?

Wow Scott, you sure know how to log dives!!

Great job with the pictures. I especially love the shots of the Staghorn Coral and the Brain Coral with the sun's rays coming down on them. The second over/under shot is are pretty amazong too - I think Captain Gary should incorporate it into his next advertising campaign!

Thanks for posting!

Glad you had a great time. Nice pics.
And nice running into you underwater at Molasses Reef. First I recognized Cooltech & Kbeck at the Winch, then Beth and Marvel.

It was a great day for diving in Key Largo!

Back at the dock after the dive gear was loaded in the truck we all made arrangements to go get dinner together. After several restaurant choices we decided on Chad’s just up the road form the shop. We sat and ate and laughed putting off the end of a great weekend for as long as possible.

Old friends I dove with: Beth (Mermaid223), Marvel, Joyce (Joystershell), Mike, (Mega Mikey), Dan, Betsy, Dave, Jim (Jammin’ Beach), Krista (KBeck), El Orans, El Zee, and anyone else I might have forgotten.

New friends I dove with: Bob (bygolly), Bob (Tortuga Tom), Michelle (Arcanthurus), Sage (ShrkB8t). Let me know if I missed anyone.

Now that my dive gear is cleaned, dried and put away. And that I have gotten some rest I am starting to look forward to Island Dive Fest 2012. Or maybe………. Island Dive Fest (fall) 2011? Who’s in?

You missed me :crying:

I had a fabulous weekend almost doubling my dive count. I haven't had time to look through all my photos yet, but I'm not sure I should bother - yours are amazing!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the dock party Saturday night and the dives on Sunday. I met a great group of people and look forward to my next trip to the Keys.

great report thnx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom