Issues with hydro retesting of galvanized steel tanks/cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anyone know the round out procedure if scubaa tank fail when being hydro tested.I saw they can rehydro the tank someplace !
It really only applies to the Worthington cylinders on their first or second test. It also really only applies to tanks that were babied or not stored full.
Worthington used heavy galvanizing and it would show the tank as brittle and fail. In reality, the tank was fine, their coating was brittle. So the round out procedure stretched out the galvanized coating before the actual test. If you have a tank that has been used a lot, or a tank that has been cave filled its whole life, this never even comes into play.
With the current age of any Worthington cylinders coming to test, it almost isn't even a thing anymore.

I know of at least two divers who lost old rare galvanized steel tanks to hydro re-tests. Both sailed through VIP. IMHO, that just shouldn't happen as they weren't banana'ed or ballooned. Word on the street is that the retest center *should* perform this procedure: http://files.meetup.com/517611/PST Technical bulletin D100.pdf

It really only applies to the Worthington cylinders on their first or second test. It also really only applies to tanks that were babied or not stored full.
Worthington used heavy galvanizing and it would show the tank as brittle and fail. In reality, the tank was fine, their coating was brittle. So the round out procedure stretched out the galvanized coating before the actual test. If you have a tank that has been used a lot, or a tank that has been cave filled its whole life, this never even comes into play.
With the current age of any Worthington cylinders coming to test, it almost isn't even a thing anymore.
Thanks for the info !

I have a pair of Faber LP95s awaiting hydro by the LDS(who uses the same fire suppression supplier I went to) - do I need to fret about this if they are factory painted tanks?

I have a pair of Faber LP95s awaiting hydro by the LDS(who uses the same fire suppression supplier I went to) - do I need to fret about this if they are factory painted tanks?
Not saying they can't screw it up, but painted Fabers don't really have anything to do with this procedure.

This issue as been around for almost 20 years. If your shop doesn't know they were badly trained, not doing any scuba cylinders, or just plain idiots.
THAT COULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER HAPPEN !!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom