It really can happen to anyone...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Buddy has a pair of sea kyaks(sp?). We have taken them out before dawn on occation as the beaches by Seaside Hights, NJ have restrictions on SCUBA divers and watercraft during the day in summer.

There is a hole in the top of each kyak (for holding a soda can or similar item that is just the right size to stick our dive-lights pointing down.

When you turn the lights on, the whole kyak lights up like a big, green lantern. Makes it real easy to keep track of each other.

We watched the dawn and then paddled back to the beach where the surf had started to kick up. As I crossed the breakers I got flipped and the light fell out (turned off by this time).

I grabbed the kyak and ran it up on the beach and then ran back into the waves to search. I got pounded for a few minutes while my buddy tried to stop laughing long enough to help me.

After about 10 minutes, just as I was about to give up, it bounced off my leg as a wave was carrying it past. I grabbed it and ran out of the surf. My buddy still laughs about it sometimes and I still have that light (and still use it on trips as it's much tougher than my HD) several years later.

Walter I have a day light in my bc pocket, I just can't get enough of my beast light. Problem is using it for everything day and night - sinks more batteries than a child's favorite toy. But I take it you frown on really really bright light underwater :) I have had conversations with quite a few divers who find a really bright light obnoxious and they can't stand divers who bring tec lights on recreational dives. I just keep going out and buying the next biggest and brightest thing that becomes available. I love the light man.

Big-t-2538 I did get ready fast - 20 minutes was from pulling into my parking space to surface swimming past the surf zone and there are a W H O L E bunch of stairs there. But fast is not my personality - I'm more detail oriented and methodical.

For any new divers reading, getting ready too fast is a sure way to overlook something. Clearly my light dangling from my wrist by the lanyard noose would be a good example of what could go wrong. A fine example of the small details that go wrong when you rush and don't have time to double-check. I don't recommend anyone take shortcuts of anykind in dive preparation - take my case as a perfect example of what not to do.

DB,

I rarely turn my light on during a night dive. If I wanted sunlight, I'd dive in the daytime. It's probably best if we plan our night dives separately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom