Itchetucknee Springs question for Florida cavers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm reading Sheck Exley's Caverns Measureless to Man and he mentions a spring called Jugg Hole close to the beginning of Itchetucknee, with Jugg Hole's run entering Itchetucknee River on the right hand side as you go downstream.

Jugg Hole is not listed in Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, however there is a map of Itchetucknee Spring State Park, with Boiling Spring showing up on the right hand side of the river.

Are Jugg Hole and Boiling Spring one and the same?

Ichetucknee Springs lists nine named springs, and Jugg Hole is not among them. I wonder if this is like Zuber Sink/ 40 Fathom Grotto?

Jug Hole is also called Blue Hole. It is a beautiful cavern, I would say one of the prettiest around. I have not been in the cave. I think it is pretty much a sidemount entrance, at least that is what it looks like. It is only open for diving from October-March. It is about a 1/2 mile walk from the first parking lot at the North Entrance of the park (bring your hand truck).

It is about a 1/2 mile walk from the first parking lot at the South Entrance of the park (bring your hand truck).

I think you meant to say "north entrance." Yes, while the walk is long, it's actually a good thing. As it tends to cut down on the number of divers and impact to the system.

Are the same. Long walk, beautiful cavern, slopes down to a sidemount tunnel in the back of the cavern. Limited access during fall and early spring. One of the prettiest dive sites in Northern Florida.

Thanks, all, for the replies. I was asking the question as a future planning, future cavern training kind of question, and now these replies have piqued my interest. Anyplace that fewer folks go to sounds good to me.

Yes, NetDoc, it's a great read so far!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom