Itinerary Review and Advice - Ventura Boat Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. I agree that it looks like too far to walk between the hotel and dive shop, so I will need to figure out a shuttle of some sort (see below). I appreciate your effort at attaching pictures.

The harbor isn't that big. It's a 10 minute walk to the Peace from the hotel. I was certified in Ventura in 1969 and have taken many trips on the Peace. Good choice, you're going to have a great time.

Ben

A few items outside the general discussion. You need to have a good dive light for socal diving, not only will this let you look into nooks and cranies for marine life, but you can use it to signal to your buddy so you stay together. Compass: you gotta have a compass to navigate to and from the boat on most dives. The boats provide a single light blanket and pillow. You may want to include a light sleeping bag in your kit, or plan for some sleep wear that will keep you warm. Foam ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones can be a godsend in the noisy boat dorm. There is not much room for luggage on the boat. I bring two bags: one has my "bunk gear" and the other my "day gear". Once you get wet, you will not be allowed back into the bunk area, so when I leave the bunk in the morning I have all the items I want with me during the day (cell phone, toiletries, change of clothes, shower towel, jacket, sunglasses, etc.) in my small bag. (I find a place out of the way to stash this bag.) After diving I strip off my wetsuit, shower, don my clothes, and then I can go to the bunk. 110 volt outlets on some boats can go pretty fast, bring a multi-plug so you can share an outlet for phone/battery charging. Streamline you dive kit. Avoid looking like an xmas tree with a bunch of ornaments hanging on it. Kelp strands will hang up on all that crap and slow you down. Be sure to look above you in the kelp forest, diving here is very three dimensional; you will see marine life in front of you, below you, behind you and especially above you in the kelp canopy. Have fun!

A few items outside the general discussion. You need to have a good dive light for socal diving, not only will this let you look into nooks and cranies for marine life, but you can use it to signal to your buddy so you stay together. Compass: you gotta have a compass to navigate to and from the boat on most dives. The boats provide a single light blanket and pillow. You may want to include a light sleeping bag in your kit, or plan for some sleep wear that will keep you warm. Foam ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones can be a godsend in the noisy boat dorm. There is not much room for luggage on the boat. I bring two bags: one has my "bunk gear" and the other my "day gear". Once you get wet, you will not be allowed back into the bunk area, so when I leave the bunk in the morning I have all the items I want with me during the day (cell phone, toiletries, change of clothes, shower towel, jacket, sunglasses, etc.) in my small bag. (I find a place out of the way to stash this bag.) After diving I strip off my wetsuit, shower, don my clothes, and then I can go to the bunk. 110 volt outlets on some boats can go pretty fast, bring a multi-plug so you can share an outlet for phone/battery charging. Streamline you dive kit. Avoid looking like an xmas tree with a bunch of ornaments hanging on it. Kelp strands will hang up on all that crap and slow you down. Be sure to look above you in the kelp forest, diving here is very three dimensional; you will see marine life in front of you, below you, behind you and especially above you in the kelp canopy. Have fun!
This is all very excellent advice.

Do NOT fly into Santa Barbara. 101 is still closed after the recent mudslides and I would be very wary of it closing again if heavy rain hits us.
Take the shuttle from LAX.

The Peace or Spectre are good choices and you can bunk there. I am personally not a fan of the Raptor. Yes, it is a fast boat but if it’s full feels like a cattle transport. If you don’t mind that it’s fine and the crew has always been nice and helpful.

Enjoy your dive vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom