It's done: Going to Roatan!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I've finally gone through with it and am going to Roatan with my girl end of october (unfortunately, the only time we were able to fit it into our schedule!:( ). I wanted to thank you all for your great comments that helped me answer my oh so curious mind!:coffee:

I've decided to go with Fantassy Island! They get pretty good coments about the dive OP and the deal was incredible! Too good to pass-up (579$ for the week).

I also have another question, which I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to, that I wanted to pass by you Roatan vets just to make sure...

How usefull is a dive light on the day diving? Is it worth lugging around? Or is visibility good enough to leave it at home? And if I am going to lug one around, is it worth it to be a "BIG" light like a UK C8 e-lead? Or something small like the SL4 e-lead?

I'm just asking this because 1- I'm still fairly inexperienced:eyebrow: 2- I'll have to limit myself to buying one or the other and the price of the SL4 is almost as much as the C8 (50$ compared to 75$), So I just want to buy the most versatile!

In a way, I figure buying the SL4 (smaller one) might be easier for day diving and I could rent a light for my night dives...

Thanks again for everything and for the answers I'm sure you'll bring around to my new querrys!:coffee:

CODMAN:
How usefull is a dive light on the day diving? Is it worth lugging around? Or is visibility good enough to leave it at home? And if I am going to lug one around, is it worth it to be a "BIG" light like a UK C8 e-lead? Or something small like the SL4 e-lead?

In a way, I figure buying the SL4 (smaller one) might be easier for day diving and I could rent a light for my night dives...:

Clarity has nothing to do with it.

The contrast between sunlit areas and the places that critters hide (in the shade) is the point. (Colored lenses make this worse)

A 2xC cell flashlight will be just fine. Wear it on a lanyard, do not make it inaccessable in your pocket. Use it constantly. Bring one extra set of c cells.

Buy your own larger light, the C8 would be nice, use it as your night dive light. Renting a dive light is an occasional diver's game.

Go slowly, perfect buoyancy, follow a good DM, you will not be disappointed. Buy a glass lensed magnifier.

See http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html

Bring your rain coat! rainiest period on the islands oct-dec

Could you do your dive trip with out a light, sure, but,
having a light does come in handy on some of the day dives
and you will need 1 for night dives.

Newmans Wall is right out front of FI and it has lots of overhangs
that you may want to look under. Also, the Prince Albert is right
out front and you will probably want to do a night dive,
or two or three....

Some people didn't carry lights at all for the day dives and
didn't have any issues. There is plenty of light to see where
you a going. Lights during the day are mainly for peeking
under stuff.

For me, the C8 lights are just too darn big and heavy. They
typically are not any brighter than their C4 models. They just
have twice the battery life. C4 LED models tend to have around
6 hours on high or 10 hours on low beam which has
been enough time for all my night dives on a trip.

I think even a C4 pistol light is a bit too big and bulky for daytime
use. I like a small light that fits easily in my pocket or can
be clipped to my BC, since they are aren't used constantly
during the day.

LED lights, which I prefer because the bulbs don't burn out
and aren't damaged by accidentally dropping the light,
tend not be as good for looking at stuff during the day.
Their color temperature is different and doesn't seem to light
as well, at least for me.
However, the battery life of the LED lights is MUCH better.

That being said, I carry a UK Q40 eLED+ with me all the time
and use the PrincetonTec C4 LED as my night dive light.
I have done many dives using my Q40 as my primary light;
sometimes you just don't want or need that much light.

I haven't seen/touched the UK SL4 eLED light yet.
I'm concerned that it has the same lighting specs as the Q40
eLED+ yet is bigger and twice the cost. I'd have to do a side
by side comparison before I'd pick that over the Q40 eLED+.
The specs also show it as having less than 1/4 of the light
of the PT C4 miniwave LED, or the UK C4 eLED.

While not LED, for compactness and versality,
the Ikelite PCa, Ikelite PC, or UK SL4 are great.
The PCa is very small, has incredible brightness,
and it can be used as a primary light - which is what my wife
uses, and then has a UK Q40eLED+ as backup.
The DMs we dove with in Roatan, used PCa lights on our day dives.
I must admit there were times I was jealous of their lights
since they could see better under the overhangs than I could
with my Q40 eLED+.

The only thing I don't like about the PCa is the short battery
life ~2 hours - especially since it uses 6 AA batteries.
However, nothing else I've seen that small gives off anywhere
close to that much light. Its under $30.
It puts out WAY more light than the specs show for the new
UK SL4 eLED.

Not sure what Fantasy Island rents for dive lights, you may
want to ask. They show a fee of $7. Many dive shops I've seen
rent out UK SL4 or UK SL6 lights, which are plenty for most
night dives.

The difference I've seen between the UK and PT C4 LED models
is that the PT has a much wider beam, is a bit brighter, and has
a slightly shorter batter life.
Sometimes it is nice to have a narrow beam which makes it easier
to get the attention of buddy of where to look to see that
"cool" thing you are looking at.

Mostly, its a personal preference thing.
It's best to compare them in person if you can.

Here are some pictures from a trip my wife and I made
a few weeks ago. We stayed at CocoView
Rotan Trip

--- bill

Well damn you all!!!! You're enticing me into spending more money! If my girfriend found out, your lives would be in danger (and mine would be forfeit...):lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys for your very usefull insight on this! I'm pretty surely going to buy a light for my day dives, that can second as a backup on night dives, where I will rent one.

I'm still toying between the UK SL4 and SL4 eLed. As you said Bill, the Sl4 eLed doesn't seem all that bright (just 33-38 lumens) compared to the 100+ of the regular SL4, even though it is supposed to be brighter underwater. Ad to that, half the price...:confused: But then again, longer burn time, sharper colors (kinda like my Petzl head lamp) and a bulb that won't burn out as fast or get damaged if dropped...:confused: They are both interesting for different reasons!

And being able to peek under ledges and stuff, especially for the small stuff as Roatan man says, will be a great assez. Small stuff is impossible to see in the shade otherwise... Well, I need a light...

Anyways, thanks again for your help!:coffee:

The Ike PCa is great. Use rechargeable batteries and enjoy. I used mine during all the day dives and the wife used hers to scout critters for pictures. We had SL4's for the night dive we did and I pulled out my "back-up" PCa just for comparison.......and it was much brighter. I pocketed the SL4 and did the rest of the dive with the PCa as my primary.

I use a PCa as a primary, too. It's bright enough without being too bright. Those big 'runway' lights that some folks use only send the NOCTURNAL critters back into hiding!

Different strokes for different folks......I use a primary light that is a primary light. Mainly because it gives we a better depth of field, especially for composing UW night pics. My backup is smaller for night......always carried during day.

Regards,

I've only done night diving (only 2 dives) in murky canadian waters and found the UK C4 I had barely enough... So I have no Idea how it will be night diving in the caribean!

So I suppose buying a small light is a good first step cause if I find it good enough, I'll use it as a primary light! And if not, someday buy bigger... and keep it as a backup!

I just want enough light to feel comfortable diving, not too much to scare the critters away!

I guess I'll see!

Thanks!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom