Roatan Trip in Feb 2024 with young child and grandparents.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll rent a car so we can travel around and do groceries if needed.

Now… about cars and vehicles.

>Search< here on SB or even TA. This is an oft discussed topic.

There really isn’t much to “travel around” to, number 1.

You can hire an English speaking driver for the day if you want “to go exploring”. No pith helmet needed. Roatan is what it is- not much to see or do outside SCUBA. There is very limited shore access and effectively NO shore snorkeling much less un-hosted diving.

People ask legit questions about personal safety. Common answer? Stay in the West End, enjoy the daylight. The rest is debatable.

The roads suck. Parking anywhere West End is at a premium. The drivers suck. The pedestrians suck. The speedbumps suck but not as bad ss the potholes suck. Emergency Medical and Ambulances DO NOT SUCK… they’re just non-existent.

The tort liability system is predesigned against foreigners and even worse for one-week type visitors. Hit a stray dog and everyone within 100 meters will claim him as their prized purebred. If a motorcycle t-bones you, they win. You are presumed at fault, your passport might well be held by the police. (It’s cheaper for them rather than putting you in jail and just as effective)

If you must drive to complete your experience, buy loads of Honduras specific insurance back home, buy everything being offered at the Island rental agency, DO NOT rely on your CC coverage. Carry several $20 bills and at least two $100 bills. Don’t flash them all at once, lest your victim’s pain and suffering suddenly escalate.

5 out of 6 vehicle renters have a great experience!

Similar odds with Russian Roulette.

West is best, especially when with non-divers. I have stayed at Mayan Princess a couple of times and it is good for both. All inclusive with a great pool and beach. Dive operation on the property, Mayan Divers, is very good.

Not sure I would even consider Anthony's Key if with non-diver and not much for the south or east side. West End has the beach and near a shopping area. Good luck

Beach House and Sundowners both had significant upgrades in the past few years. We use both every year and my family practically live on the beach and in the water outside of Sundowners during the day. My wife and I eat at Beach House usually once a week as it is on the more expensive side of eating options for that area. That being said, the Sunday brunch is still an absolute steal in our opinion, with excellent food and service. We've been in a couple of the room when friends stayed there (since the renovations) and they are very nice.

Sundowners and the beach/water in front of them is a great place to chill when not diving or doing anything else. They also have good (bar) food and great service. They have live music too at night if that's your thing.

We have a place at Cocolobo, a 5-10 minute walk from West End. The lodges are great for families, and the front studios are great for couples. Very low key, 2 nice pools (1 overlooking the water), and breakfast included. You're on your own for lunch and dinner.

Moana and Sundivers are great dive ops, but there are others that seem to be highly recommended too.

If you have more specific questions, let us know!
Hi Fez! Is your place at Cocolobo available for rent? Or is it booked through the normal hotel process?

One thing to consider is the nasty little sand fleas* on the beaches. If you've been to Belize, you may have experienced these before.

Some caveats on this: I'm leaving for my 14th trip to Belize in a week. I've stayed primarily on South Water Caye, though also spent time on Glover's Reef and just a bit on Lighthouse. All three locations have sometimes had issues with the fleas. If the wind is up, then they seem less of a problem. But if it's a dead still day you can get eaten alive from the knees down (if standing or walking) or all over (if lying down). Not a big deal indoors, though, even without bug screens of any kind (or glass, for that matter) on windows.

I've been to Roatan for a month, once. I've seen the same thing happen to folks there that slept out on the beach after a bit much to drink. As a diver who didn't hang out on the beach in that month, I never got bit. (Well, OK, I might have walking to and from my upland accommodation, which had a dirt road running past a stream. That combination also supports the fleas. But it wasn't bad.)

Long story short: I'm not sure I'd take my kids (now late teenagers) to Roatan to hang out on the beach. Definitely wouldn't take a younger kid. I was advised not to by folks who'd been on Roatan a lot longer than I had when I was there. However, I'm also very open-minded and would like to hear about others experience. E.g., are the sand fleas a seasonal thing? I know they're an issue in December in Belize and July in Roatan, so I think maybe they're an issue year-round?

*I think they're actually called sandflies or sand flies, not fleas. But flea is a good way to think of what they resemble.

We did a VRBO in Sandy Bay back 2018, the house was nice, but don't leave any valuables outside at night. The locals will come and steal anything they can fit through the bars. We were there with our 3 teenagers, focused most of our time on diving, did a few topside excursions. Generally not the sort of place I would recommend for your travel grouping. Price wise it's very attractive and if you have the option to subsidized the GP taking Jr somewhere while the two of you go to Roatan, that might be a better plan. Otherwise I would look into places like Curacao, Grand Cayman, St Croix, all of which have some shore diving which help keep schedules really flexible and costs down.

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are starting to think about where we'd like to travel to next and Roatan has always been high on our list. We'd like to get advice on which side of the island to stay on, potential accommodation sand beaches to visit.

Travellers would be my wife and I (divers), 3 year old (loves swimming pools but is starting to enjoy the ocean) and grandparents (LOVE snorkelling). I realize Roatan may not be the best place to go as a group but my wife and I have always wanted to go and don't want to wait too long! We are flexible in most things but would prefer to be close to the beach. I'll rent a car so we can travel around and do groceries if needed. We don't want a 5 star hotel but we also want someplace clean and well maintained. My wife and I will probably only dive 2-3 days and then snorkel the rest of the days.

Any suggestions are appreciated! I realize this may be a tough ask but hoping it'll work out!
I recommend you check out a 2 or 3 bd at Infinity Bay in West Bay (we always use vrbo since the resort rates are v inflated). It's the opposite of a hard core dive resort but with grandparents and a 3 yo you want a great pool (there arent a lot in W Bay), a full kitchen, and snorkel access without boat traffic to the reef where they can swim out in minutes and possibly catch the turtles and eagle rays in the mornings.

Kimpton next door is more upscale while Infinity Bay is mid-range and nice - both have great pools for the kids and more importantly, both offer access to excellent snorkeling from a sandy beach entry without needing to worry about dodging boat traffic to swim to the reef. Infinity has its own dive shop for convenience but you can dive with whoever you want as there are ops all down the beach - they'll pick you up at the Infinity Bay dock.

We don't use a car, our private shuttle stops at Eldons grocery after we leave the airport for an extra $10 and that's the last we get into a car for the week. We walk along the beach to check out dozens of eateries and the on-site food at IB La Palapa is actually quite good when you're too tired to head further than the beachfront tables.

Condos have washer/dryers, full kitchens, and we like the units near the shallow kid -friendly end of the pool where i can see my kids swim from the balcony. My 4 yo learned to love to snorkel in W Bay due to the easy sandy entry and she would pop up to tell her brother that she saw her 3rd trumpetfish or 4th squid.

It's effortless and comfortable and my kids love it and we get to dive. I have looked into Mayan Princess AI which someone else suggested - the grounds look nice and if you like AI, this would be it. (Don't ever do AI at Infinity which isn't a typical AI package). From MP, you'd just need to walk down to IB to enter the water to snorkel due to the boats in front of Mayan Princess.

Be aware that Feb is still considered rainy season which has been extending longer into the calendar year. Even March has been rainy during some years.

One thing to consider is the nasty little sand fleas* on the beaches. If you've been to Belize, you may have experienced these before.

Some caveats on this: I'm leaving for my 14th trip to Belize in a week. I've stayed primarily on South Water Caye, though also spent time on Glover's Reef and just a bit on Lighthouse. All three locations have sometimes had issues with the fleas. If the wind is up, then they seem less of a problem. But if it's a dead still day you can get eaten alive from the knees down (if standing or walking) or all over (if lying down). Not a big deal indoors, though, even without bug screens of any kind (or glass, for that matter) on windows.

I've been to Roatan for a month, once. I've seen the same thing happen to folks there that slept out on the beach after a bit much to drink. As a diver who didn't hang out on the beach in that month, I never got bit. (Well, OK, I might have walking to and from my upland accommodation, which had a dirt road running past a stream. That combination also supports the fleas. But it wasn't bad.)

Long story short: I'm not sure I'd take my kids (now late teenagers) to Roatan to hang out on the beach. Definitely wouldn't take a younger kid. I was advised not to by folks who'd been on Roatan a lot longer than I had when I was there. However, I'm also very open-minded and would like to hear about others experience. E.g., are the sand fleas a seasonal thing? I know they're an issue in December in Belize and July in Roatan, so I think maybe they're an issue year-round?

*I think they're actually called sandflies or sand flies, not fleas. But flea is a good way to think of what they resemble.
Sand flies are impossible to predict, whether they're around or who they'll take a liking too. We've been living in and/or visiting the bay islands for 30 years now and my wife has had her share of bites (not so much me) but our worst experience with sand flies by a long shot has been at the W Hotel in Vieques. Neither of us went to the beach again after the first day, they were so bad, yet I've never heard anyone mention sand flies when talking about Vieques!

Reactions: Doc
Sand flies are impossible to predict, whether they're around or who they'll take a liking too. We've been living in and/or visiting the bay islands for 30 years now and my wife has had her share of bites (not so much me) but our worst experience with sand flies by a long shot has been at the W Hotel in Vieques. Neither of us went to the beach again after the first day, they were so bad, yet I've never heard anyone mention sand flies when talking about Vieques!
My limited experience in W Bay Roatan is that resorts raking the sand vastly improves the noseeum situation and on our 3 trips in the past 5 years, my young children have played in the sand everyday without any issue. We do not hang out on the beach at dusk (we run as soon as the sun is setting to avoid mosquitos, etc,) however, we did pick up some bites when we were at restaurants but nothing dramatic or unusual for the Caribbean. I've found that the more remote the location, the worse the noseeums can be (I'm a mosquito and noseeum magnet and I hate these things). The worse run-in's I've had were in Caye Caulker in Belize where I resigned to just slather myself in baby oil and let them stick to me while I fished from shore.

I second the suggestion for Infinity Bay! It sounds perfect for all of your needs. West Bay has a beautiful beach and there is decent snorkeling right in front of Infinity Bay for the Grandparents. The pool at Infinity bay is amazing. I'm sure your 3 year old would love it! I just spent 2 weeks in Roatan in September 2023. West Bay is my favorite area to stay.

Back
Top Bottom