It's just a matter of time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, although the article talks about spent ammunition, and lost fishing tackle (i.e. both are left in the waterway "permanently").

Of course that's not to say that no-one will go after SCUBA weights, and I realize we do lose weights occasionally. (And, I don't know how much affect they have on the environment or on me - but I am interested in that.)

I would THINK that the ammount of lead shot from guns is a lot larger than the ammount of lead weights lost. However one lost lead weight is a whole lot of rounds in one small space..

In Norway its been illegal to manufacture, import, sell and use lead pellet shotgun shells since 2005. Its also been illegal to use it for hunting water-living birds since 1991.
The birds still die from getting shot it seems :p

I've heard of sealing lead weights with a home vacuum sealer. Sounded like a good idea. I have some scubapro soft weights that are sealed in plastic. You can dry them off to put them away a lot easier too.

I would THINK that the ammount of lead shot from guns is a lot larger than the ammount of lead weights lost. However one lost lead weight is a whole lot of rounds in one small space..

In Norway its been illegal to manufacture, import, sell and use lead pellet shotgun shells since 2005. Its also been illegal to use it for hunting water-living birds since 1991.
The birds still die from getting shot it seems :p

Water fowl can injust the pellets causing their death. Lead is great for ballistic qualities but there are other options. I think the lead shot is probably the biggest problem. It is small. It has a large surface to volume ratio. It is intended to be expended. Hunters do not exactly go out and collect their spent bird shot.

Fishing is a bit different. Fishermen do lose lead weights. But the loss rate is much lower than hunters. Fishermen do not intend to expend their lead. Also lead sinkers tend to be quite a bit larger than bird shot (except split shot sinkers) so I do not think much of anything is likely to injust them.

Divers can and do lose their weights. But I would think the amount of lead lost by divers is much smaller than the fishermen or hunters. Also, if you are diving with solid weights, I rather doubt that anything would eat a 3 lb weight.

Here in the USA we stopped selling Motorcycles for children because they have lead batteries and a child could lick the posts! It is all crap and thank gd the second amendment keeps the EPA from controlling ammo:wink: They are coming for us! Leaching is clammed for lost weights on reefs and water sources, so wait it will be use next:wink:

Gentlemen, Please take this seriously. As an army officer years ago I had to deal with both OSHA and EPA on lead issues when they forced the closure of many indoor ranges used by ROTC. They came in and tested the range air quality after every firing position was occupied and fired for one hour solid (something rare in actual use). They used that measure and applied it to the exposure levels for lead workers (battery factories, etc) multiplied the exposure level measured at the end of one hour on the range by 40 (regular work week) as if the ranges were in constant use 40 hours a week with the same people on the range for 40 hours each week (never happens in real life). This allowed them to declare the exposure rate to lead Ox, to exceed safe allowable limits and mandate expensive air filtering and ventilation systems. The expense to comply was more than many institutions were willing to pay so the ranges were closed. The individuals I met doing these inspections did not like the military and certainly expressed an attitude that universities had no business supporting gun shooting. They had an agenda in my opinion. I do not pretend to know these folks agenda, but I would be very careful thinking they will not touch us.

Two prior situations in my life were hit by the switch away from lead. First was Dungeons & Dragons. Really! We used to use lead figurines to mark our characters' spots on the combat map. But that was phased out and other metals became more common. No big deal, really.

Later, as an electronics tech, they started looking hard at the solder we were using. First it was fume hoods and fans, then different soldering alloys using less lead. A hassle at first, but I'm glad ultimately I wasn't ingesting as much lead.

Lead is nasty stuff in any organism. I won't mind if my two-pound weight bag has to be a little bigger due to the steel shot inside.

the issue most shooters have with this backdoor attempt to ban ammunition (and therefore firearms) is that banning the lead that encased in a rifle bullet will drastically (and negatively) alter the ballistics (accuracy) of the rounds.

and I agree with the other poster...they definitely have an agenda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom