I've been thinking of selling my LP108's to buy HP120's - What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got 2 Faber LP108's
These are my only tanks and I dive them as singles.
I have about 45 dives on them.

I dive with some guys that have 120's and guys that have doubles so often I am the first to run low. I am newer diver (65 dives) too and my air consumption isn't the greatest but it has been dropping a lot lately as I have been feeling a lot more comfortable underwater. Even as it drops I doubt I will ever be one of those guys who can dive for an hour with 500psi.

I originally bought these thinking I could get overfills on them and carry tons of air. The few times I have had overfills to 2900-3000 I have really enjoyed the extra air :)
Practically though living in the midwest the shops seem reluctant to overfill too often and I think if I just had 120's I wouldn't have to worry about asking.

I know the argument is that the shops will have a harder time getting a proper fill to 3500psi then 2640psi, but if they underfill the 120's occasioanally I really wouldn't be much worse off than my 108's I currently have.

Also I think the smaller diameter tank would mean less of a profile to push through the water. (This is a minor thought as my personal profile isn't that small in the water anyway :p )

In the future - towards the end of this year or maybe the beginning of next I may want to double up these tanks - so that is something I should keep in consideration.

I got my tanks at a good price so I don't think money will be too much of an issue to consider here.

So - that is what is rattling around in my head this week. What are your thoughts on my logic?

You may really like the HP 120's, being 6'2". Try one first, they have nice buoyancy characteristics. Big gas swing, weight yourself so that you are about 4# negative at 500 psi.

You may really like the HP 120's, being 6'2". Try one first, they have nice buoyancy characteristics. Big gas swing, weight yourself so that you are about 4# negative at 500 psi.

Just curious. Why would you want to be 4 lbs negative with 500 psi? I thought ideally you should be neutral at 15' with 500 psi.

00wabbit please pardon the hijack, -good question worth answering.

(500/3442)(120 cuft) * (0.075#/cuft) = a bit more than a pound of gas in a 120 at 500 psi. So that puts me 3# negative on an empty tank. I hate the feeling of fighting "corking", especially if I was in a bad way and wanted to suck all remaining gas down at 15'.

Doing so would put me about 3# negative, and I can swim 3# up even on my worst day. :wink:

I am 6' and love the 120s. As you mentioned a short fill is no worse than where you were. They are only a few lbs heavier than an AL 80.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I am 6' 2" 250 and so I also have a big foot print in the water. I own and dive Lp 85, lp 108, HP 100, HP 119, hp 120 HP 130 and the one I own and don't dive is the AL HP 100. The only tank I would not recommend is the AL HP 100. The HP 120 is a great tank you will love it. Keep the lp 108's it never hurts to have move tanks unless the partner says no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom