I've FINALLY HAD IT with my LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to topic if that's not too much: This has been your LDS? You have been buying and/or training there? Really makes you want to shop the web more huh? Then train on trips if needed.

It always pays to advertise, huh? Since you posted it, how is $469 that much better than $550? $81 is $81, but really - you seem to be similarly priced...? :confused:

The difference is that they don't charge you the full class price for doing only a portion of the class. Which was the primary complaint of the OP.

Online or Take Home Course ($120.00)
Academic Review & Pool Sessions ($199.00)
Checkout Dives ($150.00)
Do it all with us ($469.00)

You can choose to do any phase with us you wish

The difference is that they don't charge you the full class price for doing only a portion of the class. Which was the primary complaint of the OP.

Online or Take Home Course ($120.00)
Academic Review & Pool Sessions ($199.00)
Checkout Dives ($150.00)
Do it all with us ($469.00)

You can choose to do any phase with us you wish

If this were the way the LDS set their pricing, I'd be very, very happy

That seems pretty steep for just the confined water sessions. I know of a very good course (albeit in California, so that doesn't help you out at all) that is probably right around that $550 mark that turns out absolutely fantastic divers (who have never been on their knees, have good buoyancy by the time they're certified, no hand sculling, no danglies....can't say enough good things about them).

While I agree with Blackwood's comment above that most of the learning happens in the confined water sessions, that's a lot of money to spend on just those few hours....assuming it's like a typical OW class where you end up spending siginficantly less time than on should.

I'd do a little research, find a reputable shop that gets good reviews from local divers, and talk with them....see what they'll offer and if they're willing to work with you.

Here's the rub: when it comes time to sign off the PIC card certifying that the student is qualified, it is the local instructor that has to do it. Not PADI, not the resort; the instructor who, at most, did the pool work. That's a lot of risk considering that the instructor didn't even teach the class.

Richard

FWIW, the instructor who conducted your final OW dive is the certifiying instructor....not the instructor who did your confined water or classroom sessions. In other words, if you had done the classroom work, the confined water dives, and three of the four open water dives with one instructor, and then did your final open water dive with a different instructor, the second instructor would have to be the one to sign off on you and would be the certifying instructor.

I know this because I have an SSI OW cert even though I started out as PADI....because the dive op I did my check-out dives with lied and said they were PADI, when they were actually not current. The local instructor and PADI both explained to me that since he did not conduct my last OW dive, he could not certify me....

I'm with you, though, I probably would not accept a referral....or at the very least, I'd still make sure that the student knew his theoretical stuff and could show me skills in the pool before I considered taking him/her out to the open water.

Richard,

When you do a referral you are only signing-off on what you personally did with the student. The instructor who actually does the Open Water signs off on the open water, signs of on the PIC and gets credit for the certification.

I stand corrected on that. I was pretty sure I read somewhere that the pool session instructor signed off and submitted the PIC. It certainly seems better to have the OW instructor do that. They're the only one that has seen the student dive.

HOWEVER, the whole concept of doing referrals implies that the student could be doing their checkout dives in an environment unlike where they will actually dive. Almost by definition, nobody from tropical destinations does their checkout dives in Canada.

OTOH, many folks only dive at tropical resorts. I'd do that too, if I could afford it and would even consider putting up with the nonsense at airports. But I can't and I won't.

Richard

No. The price of $550 was for the attendance of 4, already in progress because a class is going on, pool dives....
I could see it if you were being quoted for a one on one session with the instructor. For being added to an already scheduled class, no way. Even if you took the class with the group, and did your dives with the group, AND they provided the academic materials. I find that price excessive. I'd shop around.

if you do, Craptastic should be in the title of the thread :D

I think that moderation and removeal of posts, simply becuase they do not exactly follow the OP's wishes is CRAPTASTIC!!! :shakehead:

So did the OP ever fly to Wy to get certified, complete the check outs while on a layover in Fl and then internet purchase the gear when finally getting back home?

I'd have done it $ 525 just to try to save them some money. :D

Around NC, most that I have seen runs about $ 300 - $375 range. Ocean checkout a little more if you do that instead of a quarry.

Shopping around for an LDS that wants to earn your business isn't that hard to do. Letting them know that you are an educated consumer always helps. If you don't get the feeling that they are generally interested in you and you feel like a head of cattle, move on. Don't tell them to match an internet price, ask them to get close. Service or perks will offset a couple of bucks.

Also conveying that you are willing to commit a certain amount of loyalty in the new relationship between yourself and said LDS as long as BOTH sides are giving.

It isn't always about money, at least to someone with a bit of foresight. The greater good should be met by both parties.

This coming from an LDS (me), not that it bares anymore weight......

Good luck w/ your search....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom