i've seen twin set 7l tanks, i wonder, why would you not just use a 15l single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a really good blog article about inverted doubles: Nigel's twinset rig

Personally, I think that sidemount surpasses inverted rigs, for those who can't reliably perform shut-downs.

Sorry to hijack this into an inverted thread, but I am right in the middle of this line of thinking.

I just started doubles and cant quite reach the valves. Yes I can stretch etc and get better, but in an emergency I would sure like to be able to get those quickly. I found the article on inverted doubles and that seemed like a good idea, but now I am pretty sure SM is the way to go for what I want. I am just concerned about getting back on the boat, but I'm a big guy and the tanks on the side shouldn't affect me as long as the ladder has width for me.

I am also wondering about trying sidemount, but my local shop doesn't do rental equipment sidemount training. And I'm not ready to buy a full sidemount rig without trying it first.
If you search Akimbo, he has some nice pictures of inverted twin tanks.
I switched to valves-down to reach the valves more easily.

Something one diver I know has on his tech rig is a knob & handle that comes down over his shoulder so he can open or close his valves without having to reach over his shoulder. I don't if it is right, wrong or otherwise just that that is what he does. I don't even know what to call it or I would put up a picture of it.

It's a valve handle extension. OMS made/ makes them. They are also derisively known as a slob winder.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Something one diver I know has on his tech rig is a knob & handle that comes down over his shoulder so he can open or close his valves without having to reach over his shoulder. I don't if it is right, wrong or otherwise just that that is what he does. I don't even know what to call it or I would put up a picture of it.

its a slob knob.
only does the isolater and not the first stage valves.

on the 2 x 7ltr front I always thought it was a waste of time unless the tanks where 300 bar and even then its not to good.

I go for the indy doubles-then at least if you cant close the valve you only loose 1 tank.

We call them a slob knob. Custom Divers still make them.

Custom_Divers_Remote_Lead.jpg

A bit of a misnomer because of the three valves on an isolation manifold the centre tap is easiest to reach.

I have seen a guy with slob knobs on all three taps.

Slob Nobs are (were?) very popular in the UK, when I used to dive there. I remember hearing lots of talk about a high failure rate with them. I don't have first hand experience of that - I never used one.

Back
Top Bottom