Jackson Blue 11-14-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I met up with Denisegg on Saturday (11-14-09) for a few cavern dives at Jackson Blue. I made it out to Cave Adventurers http://caveadventurers.com/ just as they were opening up and spent some time shooting the bull and spending money on new toys. After a little over an hour Denise and I took off just as Bugman was pulling in. I figured I would have time to BS with him in the parking lot at JB so I didn’t stop to talk, but I guess he was diving some other spots (so sorry mat for not stopping to talk). It was a really nice day for diving without a cloud in the sky and comfortable temps. Since GlenFWB was still feeling a little under the weather I took a picture of the cavern entrance with my cell phone and sent it to him and then we starting gearing up. There was a team that entered just before us and they seemed to take up the entire right hand side of the cavern with their line, because of this I didn't see many good options of where I could run the line. With the lack of places to either make a wrap or make a placement compounded by the fact I am a newb to running a reel I figured it was going to be a real PITA. Suprisingly, I was actually able to put my line in without much trouble at all. My new Larry Green reel helped alot, it is a really smooth and compact reel. Once I tied off to the gold line we pushed out to right at the end of visible light and took our time looking around. There are so many fossils in JB and I really enjoyed looking all over and finding them. Once I hit my turn pressure I thumbed the dive and we made a very slow exit (well I should say I made a graceful exit and Denise, well I’ll let her tell the story :wink:). After our dive we went back to Edd’s for fills and for Denise to try out a different drysuit. After a quick bite to eat we got back in the water and made another nice dive. Once I hit my turn pressure we made our way back to the start of the gold line and I pulled my reel. I felt pretty comfortable reeling it in and didn’t have any trouble. The different drysuit that Denise was wearing on this dive made all the difference and we both made a graceful exit out this time :D. I hade a great day diving with Denise and I look forward to getting out there again to get some more experience that I can use in an intro class in future. Here are a few pictures I took:

45_edit_2.jpg

0741.JPG

021_edit.jpg

066_edit.jpg

060_edit.jpg

043_edit.jpg

014_edit3.jpg

005_edit1.jpg

007_edit.jpg

003_edit.jpg

Last edited:
That place is really amazing. I can't wait until I get the experience and the training to see more of it.

That place is really amazing. I can't wait until I get the experience and the training to see more of it.

It looks like you caught the bug. Hope this does not prevent you from the occasional beach dives.

It looks like you caught the bug. Hope this does not prevent you from the occasional beach dives.

I will never stop diving in saltwater, I just wanted to learn another diving activity I could do when the gulf isn't cooperating :D. Here is a cool video of Jackson Blue, it really shows how awesome of a place it is: http://vimeo.com/channels/cavediving#1002327

Fun fossil pictures!

There is a great and very efficient way to run line on the right-hand side coming in, but there's another very nice path through the cavern going a little to the left, and using a bunch of placements. Maybe that's the way you found? It's a longer route through the cavern, but kind of more fun.

All these cave pictures . . . Sure glad I'm headed for MX in two days!

It really was a nice day for diving. I put the dry suit on the back burner until I finished full cave so that I would have a chance to work out the kinks before entering a cave in one. A day in the basin and the cavern was a great time to pick the drysuit back up and start again. I talked to Rob at Edd's about my regs(which had issues during my full cave class) and we looked at them and the intermediate pressure on both regs is creeping too high and will have to be rebuilt (they are still under warranty thankfully). But because we were staying in the light zone and I was wearing doubles I decided to do the dives and keep a close eye on my gas.

The White's Fusion drysuit I have been trying is a shell with a 1ml neoprene layer over it to reduce drag. I had been on several dives with it but was not happy with the MK2 undergarment by Whites. I exchanged these for the Fourth Element Arctic undergarments but because they are so dense my doubled HP100's would not sink it without extra weight. I am thinking, no way I should have to add weight to doubles??? I was floating on top but pushed my way down. Needless to say, I did a safety stop at 15ft in the cavern but my exit was not so graceful.

My next dive I tried a Pinnacle Black Ice Crushed Neoprene with a Merino wool lining and man what a difference!! It was just what I was looking for. It dives like a wetsuit with the warmth of a drysuit! And I didn't need any extra weight to sink it. My dive was smooth and flawless. I have asked many questions regarding a shell vs neoprene and I can see where both of them have their place. I just enjoy the lack of bulk with the neoprene and the ease of diving. I felt less constricted, more streamlined, less drag and trimmed out well.

Walter and I have already plotted some more exploration in the caverns and I look forward to joining him again for some more fascinating adventures.

Since GlenFWB was still feeling a little under the weather I took a picture of the cavern entrance with my cell phone and sent it to him and then we starting gearing up

I appreciated the picture Walter...although I must confess I was growling under my breath about not being there.

There was a team that entered just before us and they seemed to take up the entire right hand side of the cavern with their line, because of this I didn't see many good options of where I could run the line.

Just be thankful you didn't go in there after Bugman ran a line. If you are doing a class...and he goes in there before you....watch out, he has the spider web technique down to a science....or, is that just the way he normally runs a line?:D

There are so many fossils in JB and I really enjoyed looking all over and finding them.

There are so many places to explore, even in the cavern zone. I checked my log, I have over 40 cavern dives in JB....and I never got bored exploring in there. I remember reading a dive report where someone said they did a cavern dive at JB...they said they did it once and didn't need to go back, there was nothing else to see. There are a lot of fossils to look at in there. I know a place where there is a whole sand dollar... I will show you sometime...it is in a fissure crack. I always check to make sure it is still there.

Nice pictures Walter. PM your work schedule and lets get back over there. I got some cool places to show you in there. I should be good to go this coming week if your schedule will allow. I guess you learned the lesson about Cave Adventurers...you can drop a lot of money in that place if you are not careful. Right Denise???

Sorry, Denise, that you didn't like the Fusion. I love mine. And BTW, I use a 6 lb v-weight in MX with Al80 doubles, and with the insulation I need in Florida fresh water, I need a 6 lb tailweight with LP95s. So yes, you can need weight with doubles.

My C2 instructor told me I didn't need the weight, and I left it off, and it really impacted my ability to do the unconscious diver rescue. It's easy to get fooled by how much extra gas we carry -- if you never check your weight with empty tanks, you will never know how much weight you actually HAVE to carry, until the day you are delayed, run low on gas, and have to crawl out on the ceiling.

I have a lot of problems with cave instructors trying to tell meticulous, careful students that they don't need the weight that good weight checks have shown that they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom