Jamaica Dive Report 6/1-6/15/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BomberoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Here's the dive report I wrote in Jamaica to post when I got back:This is my review of diving in Jamaica. I hope it is not too lengthy, but I hope you can find this information useful. I myself find SCUBABOARD’s forums very useful prior choosing dive sites or operations.
We were at Jamaica from June 1 to June 15, 2006. The first three days we stayed in Negril’s Country Country Hotel which was excellent. I was kind of disappointed that we couldn’t find a scuba shop that rented equipment, specifically tanks. We later found out at Discovery Bay that Jamaica government regulates dive operations and does not allow them to rent out equipment and wants all certified divers accompanied by a Master Diver.
We dove two tanks with Negril Escape Diving in front of their hotels/scuba shop reef. Max depth in those dives were 50 feet. Neville was the Master diver who took us out. He was great. Since my wife and I just bought our first Dive gear, we explained Neville that our first dive we wanted to get to know our equipment, which he was helpful with. Our second dive was the best. I concentrated that dive in taking my underwater video camera and filming. Good thing I did! We saw eels, that worm that looks like a flower and hides when you approach ( I don’t know its name), lobster, a caterpillar type that really burns as I was told by Neville later, and then best of all a turtle. I had read so many reviews about Jamaica’s reef that I was expecting the worst. That was a good thing because I was not disappointed with diving Jamaica since I had my mind set to “expect-the-worst” mode. Of course like every review here in SCUBABOARD says, don’t go to Jamaica to dive, but if you are there dive.
We met our family and rented a Villa in Discovery Bay about 15 min away from Runaway Bay, our next two tank dive on the North Coast which was also beautiful. Our first dive that day was a wall reef, now I don’t know if it is the Cayman wall or just called Runaway Bay Wall, but it is directly behind FDR Hotel/Resort with Jamaica Scuba. I made arrangements with Christian Rance whom I think owns or manages that operation. He dove on our first dive but the Master diver was Stacy, a nice petite Jamaican. My wife and I felt comfortable with her. She was young, maybe about 25-28 but looks can be deceiving. Really nice though. Now, it is very true, you can tell the signs of over fishing, since ahe all the places we dove had fish traps and we never saw big fish. The wall in Runaway Bay was beautiful, probably the biggest fish we saw, maybe 10 inches or so. Well, the second dive with Jamaica Scuba was at Nursery Reef not far from the Wall. It was pretty. Of course, not the best I’ve seen but more than I expected.
Now, the two dive operations I used were not cattle boats, but then again it is hard to tell since I did not see many tourists on the island. In Negril, It was 6 divers for the master diver including ourselves. In Runaway Bay with Jamaica Scuba it was 5 divers but my wife and I were paired only with Stacy which was great.
But rating the diving in Jamaica overall from 1-10 and 10 being the best, I would have to say a 7.5 since it was better than I expected. Well hopefully this review will be helpful for all you guys. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I have video from the dives but I have no idea how to upload on here. By the way I am writing this review here in Jamaica outside our Villa with the sound of the waves crashing against the rocky reefs on the back of our property. Really nice, hopefully this is my souvenir when I take back and when I get nostalgic of Jamaica I will read it, Irie mon!
6/11/06 -Jesse

Where else have you dived? What would you rate as a 5 and what would you rate as a ten?

The worm that hides when you get close is called a Garden Eel. If you get above them, you can look down into their holes and see their heads and small eyes looking out. I'm glad you enjoyed diving in Jamaica. I have dove there when on vacation and enjoyed the time. Much better places for diving, but still a fun thing to do while down there. I think that the diving could become much better if they stoped fishing in their so called "Aquatic Preserve".

Tim Ingersoll:
Where else have you dived? What would you rate as a 5 and what would you rate as a ten?

Hi Tim his profile list his dives 16-50....I would suspect maybe just local diving....I was surprised at his rating....never have been there but reports I have read have been poor, but hey if your there may as well dive :wink:

Hey Tim, yes I'm practically a new diver. I have 40 dives only. True, most of them have been local...San Diego, Catalina Island, Lake dives in Havasu City, AZ, and on two vacations I went to, Key West, Cozumel, and the Chaacmool Caverns in Cancun. Of course, Jamaica obviously is better than your lake dive but compared to Cozumel---Jamaica can't compete. Even though I only did two dives in Key West this past Nov. I was not impressed at all....I don't know if it was the hurricanes...but not much coral or marine life. I did like Jamaica better than Key West.
Now, about 4 yrs ago I went on a cruise that stopped for a couple of hours in Roatan and although it was snorkeling I did, I thought that has been my one of my highlights in my todo again list. Now comparing to only these places I been on I'd rate Jamaica in a scale of 1-10 (10 being the Best) a 5.5. I would say Cozumel and Roatan (although I only snorkeled there on the West End) being a 10 for abundant coral,marine life, and excellent visibility. I would rate Keywest as a 5.0. I would rate Catalina Island (Kelp Forest) as 8.5.
Well I don't know if that helped...
Again, not a diving destination, but I expected much worst that "the poor" rated reports I read in SCUBABOARD.

THANKS FOR THE INFO HUNTER! Wow, I had no idea bout those garden eels but I next time I will lok to see if I see those eyes...neat. True, I was discouraged by seeing so many fish traps while diving (In fact, I filmed some on video). I also did not support that by hiring a guide to take me spearfishing. I was sad to see a lack of fish. Now, I know I did not think of the lack of fish while eating the delicious saltfish jamaican style, lol, but I would not go on a spearfishing trip just for fun where I know there is a problem with overfishing, well thats my view.

PARADISE HUNTER:
The worm that hides when you get close is called a Garden Eel. If you get above them, you can look down into their holes and see their heads and small eyes looking out. I'm glad you enjoyed diving in Jamaica. I have dove there when on vacation and enjoyed the time. Much better places for diving, but still a fun thing to do while down there. I think that the diving could become much better if they stoped fishing in their so called "Aquatic Preserve".

BomberoDiver:
Hey Tim, yes I'm practically a new diver. I have 40 dives only. True, most of them have been local...San Diego, Catalina Island, Lake dives in Havasu City, AZ, and on two vacations I went to, Key West, Cozumel, and the Chaacmool Caverns in Cancun. Of course, Jamaica obviously is better than your lake dive but compared to Cozumel---Jamaica can't compete. Even though I only did two dives in Key West this past Nov. I was not impressed at all....I don't know if it was the hurricanes...but not much coral or marine life. I did like Jamaica better than Key West.
Now, about 4 yrs ago I went on a cruise that stopped for a couple of hours in Roatan and although it was snorkeling I did, I thought that has been my one of my highlights in my todo again list. Now comparing to only these places I been on I'd rate Jamaica in a scale of 1-10 (10 being the Best) a 5.5. I would say Cozumel and Roatan (although I only snorkeled there on the West End) being a 10 for abundant coral,marine life, and excellent visibility. I would rate Keywest as a 5.0. I would rate Catalina Island (Kelp Forest) as 8.5.
Well I don't know if that helped...
Again, not a diving destination, but I expected much worst that "the poor" rated reports I read in SCUBABOARD.

Thanks. Its really helpful to know where else you have dived when rating a location. I would agree that Key West is below average for Caribbean diving. There are some wrecks in that area that are worth checking out if you get back that way. I had fund getting wet in Jamaica. Not a dedicated dive destination but definitely worth getting wet if you are there. For what its worth I put TCI, LC and Coz at the top of my Caribbean list and Palau at the top of my list of all places I have dived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom