James Bond's Underwater Breather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't they also use something like this in Ocean's 12?

As to the metal perhaps they're using Adamantium. :wink:

Not going to break out the chemistry books right now.. but I seem to remember that hydrogen peroxide passed through a catalyst (platinum screen) broke it into hydrogen and oxygen.... It's what they flew the jet packs with for the 80 something olympics... Which was a toy that got me wishing I could fly.. too bad it could only sustain short flights (less than a minute)..

Take care,
Scott

Heck.. its not quite official research.. but I went ahead and hit up Wikipedia..:

The use of H2O2 as a propellant takes advantage of the decomposition of 70-98+% concentration hydrogen peroxide into steam and oxygen. The propellant is pumped into a reaction chamber where usually a metal (esp. silver or platinum) catalyst triggers decomposition, and the oxygen/steam that is produced is hot enough (>600 °C) either to be used directly or to combust a fuel. As a monopropellant (not mixed with fuel), it produces a maximum specific impulse (Isp) of 161 s (1.6 kN·s/kg), which makes it a low-performance monopropellant. The famous Bell Rocket Belt used hydrogen peroxide monopropellant. When decomposed to burn a fuel as an oxidizer, specific impulses as high as 350 s (3.5 kN·s/kg) can be achieved, depending on the fuel. Peroxide was used very successfully as an oxidizer for the low-cost British launchers, Black Knight and Black Arrow.

*end Wiki-quote*

ScottB:
It's what they flew the jet packs with for the 80 something olympics... Which was a toy that got me wishing I could fly.. too bad it could only sustain short flights (less than a minute)..
Take care,
Scott

A jet pack was used in Thunderball as well....and the camera shot was less than 1 minute. I also saw a demonstration of one in person sometime in the 60's as well...
Ron

Cryogenics is your friend. Pack that cannister with liquid O2 and nitrogen and you would have plenty of gas

Wasn't something similar used by helicopter pilot in the movie "The Perfect Storm?" Hollywood...

The jet pack, unlike the mini-rebreather, really works. However the fuel supply is very limited with about 60 seconds of fuel on board. They made some cool appearences (flying into a stadium, etc) and did some cool tv and movie scenes with them, but they were all done by combining footage from several 40-50 second flights. Running out of fuel a hundred feet up would be a very nasty situation to be in and would most likely not be surviveable. So watching the fuel guage would have been a critical issue.

A concept that is slightly more practical is a back mounted helicopter pack with two counter rotating ducted fan engines - although the term "slightly more practical" in this sense is still very minimal.

DA Aquamaster:
The jet pack, unlike the mini-rebreather, really works. However the fuel supply is very limited with about 60 seconds of fuel on board. They made some cool appearences (flying into a stadium, etc) and did some cool tv and movie scenes with them, but they were all done by combining footage from several 40-50 second flights. Running out of fuel a hundred feet up would be a very nasty situation to be in and would most likely not be surviveable. So watching the fuel guage would have been a critical issue.

A concept that is slightly more practical is a back mounted helicopter pack with two counter rotating ducted fan engines - although the term "slightly more practical" in this sense is still very minimal.
Mythbusters tried it (twin ducted engines) and failed. No-go on the "practical" personal flying packs at this point. Anything that says otherwise is a myth. ;-) (until you see flight footage or see an actual flight, and a cost list)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom