James Cameron - Cave Diving Blockbuster 'Sanctum'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw it the other night, that movie freaked the crap outta me. How some folks could be "such awesome people" and make so many mistakes (ditching bailout through a restriction?? WTF??) no wonder so much crap happened to them.

Peace,
Greg

I saw the movie last weekend. I loved the u/w shots, they were fabulous, & general theme was great, but was it really necessary to kill someone ever 20 minutes or so.
It was like watching Cliff Hanger, in a cave.

Mike D

I went to see it yesterday.
Though everything was almost expected to happen, I couldn't resist to blame James Cameron to sacrifice credibility towards making the movie more dramatic.
It's supposed that this type of movie is going to be seen by a large number of divers, so, me, as a diver, with little to no knowledge about rebreathers and cave diving could see a lot of mistakes and things to complain, here is my list :
1) The first she diver that dies when the rebrether hose exploded, had a wetsuit with a very legible SSI logo. Bad for SSI, as she dies because she hadn't an emergency breathing backup. No cave diver dives without an emergency breathing backup, never. **** happens, always.
2) The rebreather hose was losing air because it was broken when they went through the small hole to arrive to the cathedral. Suddenly the hose exploded. Those hoses are low pressure hoses and should not explode the way they showed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
3) Almost at the end of the movie, the son took a chemical light, broke it to light and went out with the ponny bottle breathing directly from the valve. Nice, however, the chemical light suddenly turns off. Chemical lights will light for at least 12 hours losing intensity with the time, but they never go off suddenly.
4) As they has no battery left in the helmet lights, when they arrived to the 2nd WW tank place, they took out some oil from the oil tank and made torches. It's supposed that that tank was there since 2nd WW, so the oil should have something like 70 years old and was still usable ?
5) There is no time frame during the events, so I cannot tell you how many days have passed until the last guy goes out to the surface and the beach was calm, sunny, and the waters crystal clear. It's supposed that there was a huge tornado with heavy rain and wind. The sea water in the beach should have been brown, the beach damaged and perhaps cloudy.

Just my thoughts.

That movie, was for the most part predictable. Boring to say the least. It should have been called SUCKED-Um...cave footage was cool...at least that was nice, acting meh, diving..meh what ya expect. Hollywood-a-sze fiction.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom