Jan. 16, 2011 Gabriola Pass photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice photos as always.

Hi Mark,
Do you know the road you took and were you near Dengen bay or Drumbeg? I have done several dives in Drumbeg and one in Dengen (and Descanso to the north) but none in what I would call "open" water. I'm always solo and a little chicken about going for a ride to Saltspring.
What do you think of Orlebar for current? I try to imagine where you put in (when standing on the scenic lookout) but it looks very exposed to me.
Comments?

Hi Mark,
Do you know the road you took and were you near Dengen bay or Drumbeg? I have done several dives in Drumbeg and one in Dengen (and Descanso to the north) but none in what I would call "open" water. I'm always solo and a little chicken about going for a ride to Saltspring.
What do you think of Orlebar for current? I try to imagine where you put in (when standing on the scenic lookout) but it looks very exposed to me.
Comments?
Gabriola Pass.jpg
I park at the end of Stalker Road, which is the Western boundary of Drumbeg Park. I swim out to the right about 150-180 meters into the narrowest part of Gabriola Pass. Just a reminder to people wanting to try this: There can be 8-9 knots of current here.

As for Orlebar, I've only done maybe 4 dives here and I don't bother timing it to any current table. I've been warned about current here, but I've never felt a whole lot. I have felt some in the shallows, but not on the wall. I'm sure there are people with more experience with this site who can say for sure. I go in right at the point (near the memorial plaque) and swim straight out towards Entrance Island. I'd say the wall starts about 100 meters out.

Are you thinking of mounting an expedition Dale? Count me in if you are. I did my open water certification dives at Drumbeg and Orlebar Point. I'm sure it was because the new instructor wanted to check them out. When he sent his divemaster out at Drumbeg to set a flag in twenty feet of water for skills, the poor guy was near swept away. We ended up practicing in water barely deep enough to submerge. Next day, after much socializing at the Grasshopper Pub, we'd barely reached twentyfive feet when my near terminal headache was releaved by my buddies panicked emergency accent. I though I'd wasted quite a bit of money before the fourth and final dive got myself and the divemaster out on the wall at Orlebar and hooked me.

Back
Top Bottom