Jan & Feb- the “Norther” weather patterns begin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
This is the time of year, January until the end of March…. That “Norther” weather patterns cause heavy wind and wave to come far South in the Western Caribbean.

This push of cold Arctic air is easily noticed as it effects the Southern United States.

IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_0348.jpeg

This “push” of cold air has not yet reached Cozumel, Belize nor Roatan… but it’s worth watching.

If it does, heavy seas will present on the North and West of Roatan.

You, too, can be a Roatan Weather Watcher!

Let’s see what develops!

IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg

24 hrs along
Note the slow Southbound progression?
IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0354.jpeg

Will it push East?
Or bonk us on our collective pointed heads?

This is most unusual
IMG_0366.jpeg

The storms “always” come off Equator of Africa in a straight line moving West

Our descending cold front spawned the Southbound line between Mexico and Cuba. Very typical “Norther “ pattern.

IMG_0378.jpeg

Looks like this Arctic push is not going to amount to enough to cause a resultant change in the Bay Islands

IMG_0376.jpeg

Stay tuned!

Night Dive Tuesday:

IMG_0371.jpeg

Wednesday AM, a little front brewed up, no remarkable wind and wave, a morning drizzle

IMG_0381.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg
IMG_0379.jpeg

On Utila we had a few showers this morning but so far this January has been pretty much perfect, one of the best I can remember. Picture from sunset on Wednesday (my guests brought a drone).
420135667_351017187723007_2485873387004529330_n.jpg

Got pretty fuggly during Saturday, aircraft diverted, delayed, and a number of quite unusual go-arounds during landing. Multiples!

Sunday 01/21 looks really nice today.

Watch the NEXT BIG FREEZE that descends into Texas… that’s a Norther knocking on the Caribbean door. Looks like this week for another Arctic blast.

I think it was about 3 years ago when Texas got hit by some nasty freezes, along with power-outages, water-outages ,and more. Since then I think people here have become a little more prepared. Where I'm at a few pipes froze, but nothing burst. No power-outages that I've heard of either. I know a number of people who simply disconnected their water until the freeze passed.

Back
Top Bottom