January Diving Honolulu Hawaii- 1 Day Cruise Stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Trying to figure out one dive location during our cruise, timing and arrivals is limiting it to possible boat dive out of Honolulu or shore diving Maui near Lahaina. Looking for input, suggestions and best dive suggestions. Thank you

Can't help with Oahu but what's your time in port in Lahaina? Lahaina Divers does a 2tank (12:30-5) every day of the week except one. 2-3 blocks from the cruise tender dock and they keep boats in the harbor there also.

For shore diving an option is Extended Horizons also - they have a daily shore dive - 1 or 2 tanks on demand. Shore Diving Maui with Extended Horizons Scuba - Top Eco Dive Company - Lahaina, Hawaii

2 other options I only know by reputation: Maui Scuba Diving with Scuba Mike or Scuba Dive Maui Ka'anapali Lahaina | 808.870.0878 | Tiny Bubbles Scuba Diving - although a little far north in Ka'anapali Beach - they offer pickup in West Maui - I assume that includes the tender dock.

Their shore dive isn't the best in the area though - for that you want Mala Pier or Black Rock. For Mala rent a guide - even though the pier location is obvious, the entry is difficult. It's actually in Lahaina - about a mile north of the harbor.

Last edited:
Did two shore dives, including a scooter dive, with Tiny Bubbles the last time at Maui. They were great. Easy cab ride to their shop. If they can accommodate a scooter dive at Mile Marker 14, turtle cleaning station, south of the cruise port, do it, and have them drop you at the port when finished.

Below is my scheduled stops. Honolulu is the longest day. Lahaina is a Thursday and a tendered port so timing is tight there. I have heard from those familiar that north shore in winter is not good due to high surf so trying to find dives on the sheltered sides with good viz.
Had hoped to do Lanai or Molikini but the timing won't work. Keep the suggestions coming, I'm very new to this, just certified last summer.

Mon, 1/9/17
Hilo, Hawaii
9:00am – 6:00pm
Tue, 01/10/17 Honolulu, Hawaii
7:00am – 11:00pm
Wed, 01/11/17 Kauai (nawiliwili), Hawaii
8:00am – 5:00pm
Thu, 01/12/17 Maui (lahaina), Hawaii
Tender Required
wheelchair Access Limited

Hilo isn't an option on your schedule since all the good diving is on the Kona Coast which is 1:45 driving away. Also there's the elevation - the Saddle Road across goes to elevation so driving to altitude diving rules apply. There aren't even any boat operations near Hilo - just two shops for shore diving. Maybe tour the Volcanoes NP instead.

You could dive on Kauai - Nawiliwili is SE and much of the boat diving is south of it.
The majority of scuba diving on Kauai occurs on the South Shore.
There's 2 shops in the Poipu area just south of there that have boats in a nearby harbor - Seasports or Fathom Five. Seasports does a 2-tank afternoon dive - check with them to see when it returns. They do their certs/checkouts on that boat so it's shallower dives. Possibly to Sheraton Caverns which is among the best - big turtles and collapsed lava tubes. The drive between Nawiliwili and Poipu is 1/2 hr. - maybe add 10mins. for port congestion on the return.

Koloa Landing is the 2nd best shore dive on Kauai also IMO - totally protected in a bay and on the south side. You should be able to get a guide from either shop I mentioned or there's probably 3-4 other independent guides - google for a list. I'm sure I"ve seen someone's dive van there also - probably Seasports.

i've spent at least a week on all three islands - Kauai has the least other things to do (although it's the greenest) so I'd dive there instead if it comes down to a choice.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom