January Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrubbo

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Cali, and would like to spend about a week in mid january diving with my wife. I'm fairly experienced, but she's newer. We spent our honeymoon in Fiji diving, and she's done some diving in Mexico on the Pacific side and in Monterey, CA. My only rule is "No Hawaii" (she spent summers there growing up) and we only have about a week. My wife gets seasick pretty easily, so I'm leery of live aboards with her. Does anybody have experience with sea-sick people and the bigger liveaboard boats? She did go on a cruise with me to Alaska on one of the big cruise ships, and was mostly okay, but I know the little live aboards (like Blackbeards in FL) would make her miserable. I've heard the Nekton was pretty good for seasickies, but I've never been.

I live in Cali, and would like to spend about a week in mid january diving with my wife. I'm fairly experienced, but she's newer. We spent our honeymoon in Fiji diving, and she's done some diving in Mexico on the Pacific side and in Monterey, CA. My only rule is "No Hawaii" (she spent summers there growing up) and we only have about a week. My wife gets seasick pretty easily, so I'm leery of live aboards with her. Does anybody have experience with sea-sick people and the bigger liveaboard boats? She did go on a cruise with me to Alaska on one of the big cruise ships, and was mostly okay, but I know the little live aboards (like Blackbeards in FL) would make her miserable. I've heard the Nekton was pretty good for seasickies, but I've never been.

I can say that the Nekton is probably the best liveaboard for "seasickies" however if there is a storm the boat will rock, just not as much as other boats. Most of the time the boat is completely still and even when they move the boat you can hardly tell it is moving - very smooth!

All that said, mid-Jan in the Caribbean can be hit or miss as far as the weather. You can call the Nekton and talk to Pam about it and find out if Belize or their new VI itinerary would work for you. Nekton Diving Cruises - Comfort, Stability, Worldclass Diving

If you want to do land-based, go to Bonaire! You can dive anytime you want and she won't get seasick shore diving. Most places offer 1 boat dive per day and those are nice to get over to Klein Bonaire and short ride, then you can shore dive the rest of the day. Excellent diving and I would think January would be fine as far as weather.

robint

I second the Nekton option mentioned by robint. Me and my wife did their Belize itinerary in the beginning on January of this year and LOVED it. I have literally thrown up on every other dive boat I've ever been on. With this boat, I took a few pills the first night on board, went to sleep, and was fine for the week... I didn't even need to stay on the meds.

Diving in Belize is very beginner friendly. Little to no current, and It's 95% wall dives. The reefs sit at about 40-60 feet, and the wall drops to several thousands of feet. She could stay on the reef tops and see plenty until she's comfortable doing the walls.

Good luck!

Dude, Herr Husband, I am not a beginner *makes growly face*

:p
I could be a frickin' MASTER DIVER by now! Everyone knows that random PADI certs mean something!

(I really only piped in so I could be annoying. Hi!)

Try Cozumel. The boat ride to the dive sites is usually very smooth. Scuba Club Cozumel rocks!

(I really only piped in so I could be annoying. Hi!)

You we found in no way annoying. Our Catzilla wants a piece of that fluffy blonde rat that you are holding, however.

Try Cozumel. The boat ride to the dive sites is usually very smooth. Scuba Club Cozumel rocks!

Watch out for Cozumel. I've seen the port closed four out of seven days in January.

don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom