Japanese diver dies in Antarctica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is of course possible, but even a catastrophic floood wont soak you quite the way going through the ice would have so youd have a LITTLE time to identify the issue and get out of there and from what I understand she was on the surface and then went under?
In ~0c/32f water you are estimated to have about 15 minutes before you risk unconsciousness, the water in the antarctic might be even a bit cooler as its salt water though, so youre probably down to 5-10 minutes so if a big flood was the issue I think there would need to be panic/shock involved for such an experienced diver not to rectify the situation within that timeframe.
If she was at depth and had a flood like that I can see a wealth of issues with rectifying the issue though..

Proper undergarments will prevent a diver from having a extreme reaction to a seal failure I have had leaks in 35 degree salt water and was fine for the entire 70 minute dive most seal failures a leaks rather than full on floods so if the water was cold and she had a seal leak I would think she would have plenty of time end the dive and get back to ship. I am leaning toward medical but we will never really know we hardly ever hear the follow up

Hi all...Interestng stuff and I can not comment, but I may be in a position to get the final report, if and when it is available, so will make an effort to post it here if I can...it will probably be some time?? I do agree with the time it takes to suffer from cold in a dry suit from a burts seal should NOT have been an issue...water in antarctica is usually -1.5c at most...it freezes at -1.8...more likely about -1.2 in East Antarctica...On the Antarctic peninsular whee she was, it is much warmer..maybe about +4c....I have been in -1c water with thermal liners and just sailing wet weather gear, NOT even a dry suit. The icy water flooded in..but the cold water does not renew itself, your body heat warms the cold water just a little, so after about 15 minutes you re still OK. I regularly throw our passengers into the water for a "Polar Plunge" at -1c wearing nothing..about 40 people each season do it..silly hey!!..you have to get out within about 30-45 seconds or you have trouble moving...most are out in about 10-15seconds!! ..one hero lasted about 75 seconds!!

Ice bathing is supposed to be good for you - although Im not convinced cause it sure dont feel like it :p

Very sad to hear. Having dove Antarctica myself I can tell you that most companys require you to have 50 drysuit dives just as this person did. I also think that's enough dives to be good and comfortable diving dry. She sounds like a very experienced diver with 1500 dives and the exact person that should be allowed to dive Antarctica. Antarctica is one of only two times that I have had to have my complete dive logs with me and the DM took 15-20 mins. looking through them with me and asking questions, he then did the same to the other 4 divers aboard the ship. I'm sure the same was done with this person.

I regularly throw our passengers into the water for a "Polar Plunge" at -1c wearing nothing

Remind me not to book with you.

...I regularly throw our passengers into the water for a "Polar Plunge" at -1c wearing nothing..about 40 people each season do it..silly hey!!..you have to get out within about 30-45 seconds or you have trouble moving...most are out in about 10-15seconds!! ..one hero lasted about 75 seconds!!

+1 NOT to book with you. Silly my ass...stupid yes.

I had the great pleasure of diving last year in Antarctica with the Plancius and their stellar crew. I want to state first hand that the crew does everything in their power to insure safe diving. It was safety first. The divemasters were top notch. I am an experienced cold water and dry suit diver and instructor, but I am also 59 years old so this came with some risk for me but what in life doesn't have risk?

It is so regrettable that the death occurred. I can only speculate what happened, but I am confident in saying that the Plancius crew did everything possible to insure safety for all the divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom