Japanese whaling fleet sails again,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
Mara, you're basically saying that your vote in that commission is a
commodity, and your country chose to sell that commodity without regards
for the well-being of the fishery they are supposed to be watching over?

And you're saying that a country that lacks the ability to feed and shelter its own people is wrong for grasping for whatever revenue they can get. Hmmm....

So Andy....if your family were starving and had no running water, and someone offered you a job on a whaling boat paying 20 times what you made elsewhere, you would not accept it?

gangrel441:
So Andy....if your family were starving and had no running water, and someone offered you a job on a whaling boat paying 20 times what you made elsewhere, you would not accept it?

screw the whales man

but if i were in a Committee to Regulate Whales, at least i'd resign prior
to taking up the job so as not to be a total hypocrite.

gangrel441:
And you're saying that a country that lacks the ability to feed and shelter its own people is wrong for grasping for whatever revenue they can get. Hmmm....

i am saying that when those are the people making decisions that affect the
future of the fishery, one wonders if the whole thing isn't a joke.

Originally Posted by gangrel441

basically, yes.

wardric:
Speaking of Whalers, I really miss them. I liked the team. Hartford is not the same without em' :wink:

Amen!

catherine96821:
basically, yes.

These smaller Third World Countries are wrong for selling their votes but the Government is to blame not the people. As shown in many Countries around the World by educating the people in Ecotourism and other Non destructive practices the people can make an even better living and way of life for themselves, and save the land and oceans for their children.

Japan on the other hand is only playing politics with the rest of the World. Just look at the same games they play with the Bluefin Tuna quotas . I hardly think that Sushi grade Bluefin Tuna are going to feed hungry people do you.

Joe B

jbilicska:

These smaller Third World Countries are wrong for selling their votes but the Government is to blame not the people. As shown in many Countries around the World by educating the people in Ecotourism and other Non destructive practices the people can make an even better living and way of life for themselves, and save the land and oceans for their children.

Japan on the other hand is only playing politics with the rest of the World. Just look at the same games they play with the Bluefin Tuna quotas . I hardly think that Sushi grade Bluefin Tuna are going to feed hungry people do you.

Joe B

Right on Joe! It's the politics of getting what you want - regardless of who it affects. Cheers . X

MaraGirl:
Our government, for better or worse, sold it's vote for money because we need it

So what was the price?

Maybe anti whalers can compete in vote buying. It's possible to raise the costs for this industry enough that Japan may decide it's no longer worth it. Vote buying can potentially impose stricter restrictions. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing. These countries would gain greater profits, at least near term. Long term profits are not guaranteed anyways.

jbilicska:
I hardly think that Sushi grade Bluefin Tuna are going to feed hungry people do you.

You said it! Do you have any idea how much sushi it takes to get a full belly?

I have been looking on web pages about the history of Whaling to see if I can clarify my opinion with some "facts".

I found that the US had by far the largest fleet employing 70,000 people and during its heyday when whale oil was a part of daily life for lighting it is conservatively estimated that the US whaling fleet alone took 300,000 whales of all species in a period of 30 years. I also found that Norway and the UK at one time controlled 80% of the whaling industry so my own countrys hands are by no means clean of whale blood. It also appears that it was only post 2nd world war years that Japan and Russia developed a whaling industry at all when protein sources were rare in both Russia and Japan.

If this is all true then perhaps it is best not to preach about the Japanese 300 whales a year catch when perhaps the reason stocks are so short is due to massive overfishing in history by other countries.

Could this example be analogous with the current massive over use of oil by developed nations. e.g. we shall use up all the natural resources and then when it is gone or in short supply tell you, you cannot.

Of course as a diver I want whales to flourish in our oceans but hypocritical preaching only leeds to those being preached at taking a stubborn position. I have no doubt that the Japanese whaling industry will fall in the not too distant future mainly due to if to the change in culture between the Japanese current generation and its predecessor but in the meantime some tolerance for the industry which is integral to one small area of Japan is required until another way of making a living for those people can be found.

Incidently government subsidy for whaling industry is analogus to farming subsidy in the european union. We know that this harms economic development in Africa becasue of unfair competition but we will not really abolish it becasue it would effect the livelihood of so many people in our own nations.

Neil

neilstewart:
If this is all true then perhaps it is best not to preach about the Japanese 300 whales a year catch when perhaps the reason stocks are so short is due to massive overfishing in history by other countries.

i think the point is that NO ONE should be fishing endangered whales at this point.

while other nations contributed to the catastrophe, only Norway, Iceland, and
Japan (as best as i know) continue to hunt endangered whales.

one thing that occurs to me is, why aren't we giving grief to Norway and Iceland
and whoever else continues to fish whales?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom