Japanese whaling fleet sails again,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the 1,000 fold comes from US standards. you can turn a $10,000 donation to
a political campaign into $10,000,000 of public funding (that's a drop in the bucket)
in pork. i imagine it's about the same in Japan.

there is no money in whaling. there is money in receiving $10,000,000 in
government subsidies and "kicking back" $10,000 to the various politicians who
helped you.

you do need a "cover business," and whaling provides just that. there are hundreds
of other examples, but they all basically boil down to the same thing: an excahnge of
public money for a pittance back in campaign contributions.

look at the "Duke" Cunningham story and the ethanol subsidies in the US for more info.

Hold on, I'm a little confused about something. Watching a video on greenpeace.org you can see that a whaling ship they rammed clearly had "research" marked on its beam. Are these ships claiming they are research vessels in order to find a loop hole in whaling regulations? I may be jumping the conspiracy gun on this one.

Tmccar1:
Hold on, I'm a little confused about something. Watching a video on greenpeace.org you can see that a whaling ship they rammed clearly had "research" marked on its beam. Are these ships claiming they are research vessels in order to find a loop hole in whaling regulations? I may be jumping the conspiracy gun on this one.
You're not jumping the gun. There is plenty of info on this issue.

Here's just one example.

Btw, Mr. X, Catherine and others... great to see you guys. It's been awhile for me.

Wow, I think I remember an old marine bio professor talking about this. That article just sparked my memory. He said that apparently these Japanese whaling companies who purchase "surplus" meat are paying off so called scientists to vouch that what they're doing is in fact scientific. Unfortunately it's hard to prove it on paper. I don't know how true this is but apparently he had a fellow colleauge from japan who told him this.

the "scientific" claim is simply a way to get around the whale hunting ban.

there is an exception to the ban for "scientific" purposes. so, the japanese fleet now claims to be engaged in hunting only for "scientific" purposes, with
the by-product meat being sold (so as not to "waste it").

it's so disingenous it's not even funny

but again, Norway and Iceland continue to hunt outside the ban. not sure
why no one ever gives them grief.

H2Andy:
but again, Norway and Iceland continue to hunt outside the ban. not sure
why no one ever gives them grief.

Absolutely correct. Norway's take last year of local Minke was probably close to the numbers collected in the Antarctic. Here's an older link with some suggested statistics.
see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4530415.stm

Iceland has a smaller whaling industry and because of that probably does not get noticed as much. I am just trying to figure out the next step? Letters to Norway and Iceland. Ask Bjork?

I think Japan's whaling industry gets the most attention because they are the most two-faced about the affair. Nothing like being duplicitous to get ire up.

Dear H2Andy,

I just love your explanation for your 1000 fold statement in a previous message. It seems that just because you have invented some "fact" about Washington lobbyists you can apply this to every western government around the world, amazing! Where is your evidence? Don't just give us self righteous prattle, it is misinformed and takes credence away from your previous argument which is a shame because some of the points you made have validity.

neilstewart:
Dear H2Andy,

Don't just give us self righteous prattle

:rofl3:

and your credibility after that ad hominem attack is ... what....?

10 below zero?

:10:

should you be interested in the source of my "guess" instead of calling me names, you might want to check out the profits made by ex-US Representative Randy Cunningham. the figure comes from his usual exchange of campaign contributions v. public moneys received by the interests spoused by the contributor, as i stated. also, look at the ethanol subsidies, and you'll end up with the same ratio.

Back
Top Bottom