Jellyfish in the Ala Wai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Went for my walk this morning and saw that there were a bunch of Jellyfish in the Ala Wai. Usually when we walk at night we see Moon Jellyfish. But this morning I saw whitespotted Jelly's, upside-down Jellyfish and one sort that I wasn't able to ID. The size ranged from a the size of a champagne cork (about 2-3cm) to the size of a head of cabbage (10-15cm). Some were resting on the bottom, others were swimming around and a few missed the tide. I know the pictures aren't great. They were taken just before sunrise at a bit of a distance, thought I'd share anyway.Too bad the water is too Pilau (sp?(=dirty)) to swim in... :(

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

this was the tiny buggah

IMG_0987.jpg

And there were lots of them stuck on the ledge

IMG_1006.jpg

Well the dirt from the spill is pretty much gone. They put in a temporary sewage system after the blow this past spring and sunk some of the pipe in the canal. BUT there are shopping carts, bikes, construction signs etc. in there and then all the crappola that the people throw in the stream's that lead to the the canal - all gets washed down when we get the heavy rains...:( :shakehead. The Ala Wai is fresh water with a layer of saltwater.

Oh yes, I have a beautiful view of the pipe from my lanai. I also get to hear the noise from them working on it ALL the time. I can't wait for them to finish it.

From my lanai, I can see thousands or even millions of fish swimming in the Ala Wai in huge schools. It is also nice to see the outriggers out there again.

I guess it's a good sign that they are back...

Happy New Year Chris....Hope you and your family have a wonderful one :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom