JET wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madmathew13

Reaction score
I keep seeing these on ebay and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? They claim to be made by the same company that makes several other wings and they do look pretty close to some of the 360 degree wings. :viking:

I was in a pool yesterday with someone who had a demo of this BC. I liked it. The D-Rings are nice and big and the entire rig is a whole lot cheper than Halcyon. It seemed really nice and seriously streamlined. I couldn't see a problem with it and the girl who brought the demo like it as well. There was some talk amongst the divers about the wing though. Seems that the wing doesn't have a huge following but the harness itself was really nice and padded. I would say go for it if you wanted a BP/Wing setup. You can alway relace the wing, backplate, or harness with whatever you want. The girl with the demo said that she liked the halcyon wing better but liked the harness and D-rings better on the Jet. Looks like a nice solid rig to me.

Q. Why no aluminum backplates?

A. ..... Aluminum is also not very strong. This can lead to your backplate wearing out in a couple of seasons, or less if you are not meticulous about maintaining your gear. ..... Our plastic plates are made from grade A extruded ABS. ABS is also corrosion proof, and for this application, nearly as strong as Aluminum.

Aluminum isn't very strong and ABS isn't quite as strong, yet they offer it instead.

Has anyone tried this plate before? It looks uncomfortable due to the fact that it is flat... most of the weight and pressure will be concentrated on your spine instead of spread over the contour of your back.

And why aren't there any bolt holes for an STA? I mean, I love the fact that my Halcyon tank straps go through the BP as well as the wing to secure the tank ever further... but some people would want an STA.

And it is not that much cheaper than Halcyon!!!! $389 for just the SS harness?!?!?!?! Then $189 for the wing??? How is $578 cheaper than a Halcyon? The flat back plate is $89... a normal BP is a little over $100... I'd rather go with the generic ones that can use any wing and STA combination.

And according to Dan, their FAQ states that AL plates wear out more than ABS plastic??? Agreed that plastic doesn't corrode at all but I highly doubt it is stronger in any way for this application.

My main concern with plastic BP is that their weakest link are the slot holes drilled close together... with the weight of the tanks and all being centered on those thin slot holes. ABS is strong, but it does break... AL and other metals, bend first before breaking.

As follows

We use the highest marine grade stainless steel available, Grade 316L.
Er not true, what about duplex and super duplex grades, which are also stronger than 316L which is actually quite soft.

The only other steel alloys that will resist corrosion better, (Inconel, Hastalloy, Monel, etc.) are more expensive than the Titanium we offer.

Again not true, if someone is charging them more for Hastalloy than titanium then i suprised

While it is possible for 316L to corrode, with the absolute minimum amount of care, it will likely remain virtually corrosion free. If it does corrode, it will be limited to light discoloration on the surface, which is easily removed with a scotch brite pad. It won’t pit, and flake off as rust the way lower grades of steel do.

Some truth at last.

Primary causes of increased corrrosion on 316L are Velocity and temperture, unless you are diving in water above 40DegC (100F), or the Dead Sea 316L is fine. We use Super duplex in highly salted water at 90DegC (200F), so why you need titanium other than pose value is beyond me.

And the velocity issue wont be a problem even with a scooter, unless your are being towed behind a very fast boat

Back
Top Bottom