Jetfin Alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howler93

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, folks... I'm still new to the scuba world with only a handful of real dives under my belt, but I know it's going to be a lifelong pursuit. My lds started me off with Scubapro splitfins (twin speed- full foot). They fit well and are comfy, but from what I've read, split fins wont be too nice for frog kicking, which seems like a logical next technique to strive for. OTHER than the Scubapro original Jet Fin, what would people recommend for a stiffer, paddle-style fin? It seems like the front runners would be the Mares Quattro, maybe the Slingshot, or the the Mares Avanti?

It seems like the Jetfins have a rabid, cult-like following, which couldn't be better endorsed in my opinion, but what would be the other choices (other than an OMS Slipstream)?

Thanks everybody!

Howler :D

I used Mares Avanti fins for years. Nice, light fins. I switched to Dive Rite fins because I wanted spring straps and I was too lazy to retro-fit them. The Dive Rite fins are heavier and stiffer than the Mares, and lighter than Jetfins.

Hollis F1 is the modernized kin of the Jetfin. You'll find a lot of Jetfin owners have found them and adopted them as well as the originals. I very happy with mine except for 1 drawback that is true of the Jetfins also... They are heavy. For travel I use Sherwood Kinesis EX. These are the Black extra stiff version pivot point blades that I started diving with. When I started I used to get calf cramps but over the years I've developed the muscles for them and find they propel me well and don't weigh near as much as Jets or the F1.

Same basic 3 hole or 2 hole stiff black / frog kickers.

XS scuba / Idi power fin
XS scuba Turtle Fin
Tilos Basic Black Jet Style----the cheapest alternative and not too shabby
OMS Slipstreams
Hollis Tech Fin..new yelow tips coming soon.

All of the above are of The old school tech diver type fins.

Plastic alternatives

The Dive Rite Fins
The Mares Plana ///and Quatro
The Tusa Imprex..

Lately in a much different category I have been trying out the scubapro sewing nova ( bungie heel strap) ...they come in white..so I use them to white balance my camera...but I can heli turn with them, and mild back kicks...no so good for back kicking

Good luck.
Hal

I am one of those cult-like followers and have dived with the slipstream and turtle fins. I will still recommend the SP's. They just work better for me. I am not sure why, maybe the balance of flex & thrust?!?!?

How about the Aqua Lung rocket fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom