Jim Church - In Honor Of ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sactomags

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The following is from another board I read and I thought it would be appropriate to post here. I have several of his books ...

Margaret
----
It is with extreme sadness that we must report the passing of legendary UW Instructor, Author and Photographer, Jim Church. Jim passed away earlier today at his home in Miami Lakes, Florida. In keeping with Jim’s wishes there will be no formal services. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Jim’s name to the Catholic Hospice, 14100 Palmetto Frontage Road, Suite 370, Miami Lakes, Florida, 33016.

Of all the accolades that Jim has received throughout his life, the one that meant the most to him was simply “teacher”. Jim spent his life as a teacher, first in the school systems of California and ultimately as a teacher to us all who ever wanted to take a picture underwater. There are very few among us who have not been influenced by Jim’s writing or by his hands on instruction. Many of today's professionals started with a camera in one hand and Jim's articles and books in the other. His articles and photos have appeared in dive magazines for 32 years.

It would be fitting on this last night of 2002, that we all lift a
glass in the direction of the nearest ocean and shout a toast to the wonderful spirit that was Jim Church. For those of us who have had the honor and privilege of knowing and loving the man, he will be missed more than words can express. For all of us, the world will be a little sadder and emptier in 2003.

God bless you Jim. You were and will remain one of a kind.

Mike Haber and Mike Mesgleski

To those of you, who were close to Jim, and we have not yet reached directly, you can call us at 305-234-0903

He will most definately be missed. Most sincere condolences to the Church family and friends.

My prayers will be with the family and friends.

Chad

was a cracking chap, and very amusing. I last saw him on the inaugural cruise of the Tahiti Aggressor and he looked so ill then we were all wondering when not if he would pass on. He was still right on the buttom mentally though and I am sure that I speak for all professional and amateur fotografers when I say he was an inspiration to us all.

It's always hard to lose someone who been so influential to us all. I never met Mr. Church but I've been studying his books for years. There isn't a photographer out there who hasn't benefited from his book on composition. You may not have read it but the knowledge was passed to you by others, none-the-less.

Proper or not, Beast and I toasted him and his memory New Years Eve...it seemed appropriate.

My condolences to his family and friends......

I had the honor of spending a week with Jim last summer on the Cayman Aggressor - he was a true gentleman whose enthusiasm and sense of humor was contagious.

I feel lucky to have been able to spend that week with him, and saddened to realize that there will not be another opportunity to do so again.

The diving world has lost a true legend, and the world has lost a fine human being. My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom