Jimmy Hoffa must be alive and well in Cozumel?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Let me get this straight: Contracted vans pick you up at the Coz airport, but cannot take you back. Taxis can take you to the airport, but can't pickup there. And hotels do not have courtesy vans. It's gotta' be a union thing? :sombrero: As many hombres as possible to divide the tourist buck...?! :$$:

don

And while you're at it, try and see how much of that $2.00 per day park fee makes it's way to the proper authorities?

Unions and Goverments, the two biggest cancers on society.......aided by acid rain (Lawyers).

But now I'm getting off of the topic of diving, where I never think of the three previous mentioned groups.

dandydon once bubbled...
Let me get this straight: Contracted vans pick you up at the Coz airport, but cannot take you back. Taxis can take you to the airport, but can't pickup there. And hotels do not have courtesy vans. It's gotta' be a union thing? As many hombres as possible to divide the tourist buck...?!
Yes, but the system makes sense. The cabbies don't have to sit at the airport in line waiting for a fare when they could be out doing the short hauls that make up 99% of their work. They don't have to know the plane schedules every day, in order to be there when there are fares and somewhere else the rest of the time. There's always enough transportation to get everybody taken care of.

One van can haul as many as 3 taxis can; more than that, really, considering that incoming tourists wouldn't share cabs very much, since how would they know who all was going the same place? It's more efficient, and you get to your hotel faster. It's even cheaper if you're traveling alone.

It is a cab drivers' union thing, yes, and the cabbies rotate through the van driving spots (or so I'm told) so that they all get a share of the pie. I don't see anything wrong with that, either.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
<snip> how much of that $2.00 per day park fee makes it's way to the proper authorities?

Unions and Goverments, the two biggest cancers on society.......aided by acid rain (Lawyers).

<snip>

FWIW, they had wristbands last time I went.

Can you have a society without a government?:confused:

Can I have a better society with LESS government, lawyers, cancer...........

YES. (With both arms tied behind my back)

Hmmm

BA

ENGLISH

Hmmmmm

I think I see where you're coming from........

Yes, but the system makes sense. The cabbies don't have to sit at the airport in line waiting for a fare when they could be out doing the short hauls that make up 99% of their work.

Actually go down to the main cruise boat piers when the boats are in. The cabbies are just sitting in line waiting for the cruise boats.

You are correct believe it or not. There is a union of taxi drivers according to several drivers who told us just that.

.... very powerful one at that.

Sindicato Unico del Choferes, Taxistas y Similares de la Isla de Cozumel is probably the most influential union on the island.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Augustus once bubbled...
Yes, but the system makes sense. The cabbies don't have to sit at the airport in line waiting for a fare when they could be out doing the short hauls that make up 99% of their work.

Actually go down to the main cruise boat piers when the boats are in. The cabbies are just sitting in line waiting for the cruise boats.

The cruise ship docks are on the main drag where the cabs are anyway (the airport is a fair distance away), and the cabbies can see the boats come in from their regular route up and down the coast. It's easy for them to stop and grab a crusero fare.

Also, the airport vans can carry a lot more cargo along with the passengers than can most taxis. Folks arriving at the airport are hauling all their luggage with them, but the cruseros are not.

Most Coz excursions include Rt Ground Transfers, but some give this as a $49 option. :$$:

If for this or other reasons, I have to pay for a van ride from the airport to the south side of town, and a taxi ride back to the airport, anyone know what this usually runs...? :$:

thanks, don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom