Job Prospects 4 new Dive Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldsoulman:
I'm seriously considering getting out of my current career path (army) and into the life of a pro Scuba Diver.
I've heard many good things about Utila in Honduras so think i will go there for the courses.
My only question now is, what is the employment situation out in the world like?
Are diving instructors a dime a dozen or is there work to be found if one searches long and hard enough?
Not looking to make millions (of course), just to live plain and simple.
Any hints or pointers would be most helpful and appreciated regarding extra courses to have under belt to stand out from crowd, etc..

Thanks much

Business is where the people are of course. And the really successful places, where you can make money, can afford to be much more picky about the quality of the staff they employ. Pretty simple formula. If you are good and can have your pick, select the lifestyle, location, food, culture that interests you most.

Well put Andy........Here on Utila generally we run our divemaster courses over a two month period. Over this time as a DMT you will get plenty of experience working with instructors with real students. This makes the transision to instructor quiet an easy one.
There is always work available for a instructor who has the right attitude, I have no problem employing new instructors and team teaching is a great way to start your new career as a dive instructor
Six months diving and living in the carribean....new career.....lifes good. Salva anyone

Hey Andy,
I was wondering if you knew anything about working on a liveaboard or something of the sort. I am seventeen and totally hooked on diving. Im working on my rescue diver certification and am going to be an instructor when I am 18. What kinds of things would be good to get a spot as crew for a liveaboard or some sort of diving buisness. I am planning to be a professional diver for my job and was wondering what all the fields are like in it.
thanks, Kurt

I left the Forces in 95 after 10.5 years(I'm Canadian), went to Cayman for 5 years and now in the US. I don't regret pulling the pin for a second!

It seems there is always the answer that you'll go broke as a instructor, truth is like any fields if you work hard at it and continue to learn and expand your skills and ability you can make a good living. It will take a couple years (like the same 4 it takes to make cpl in reg force) but it sure can be done. I have and have many friends making over 80K a year TEACHING, it took time and skill to get there.

PM me if I can help.

Best,

Chris

desperate4dives:
I am seventeen and totally hooked on diving. Im working on my rescue diver certification and am going to be an instructor when I am 18.

Wow! 17, less than 50 dives and you know that you want to be an instructor!?

Most of the instructors I work with earn sweet FA and are jealous of my position - I work part time as an instructor (doing the courses I want, the way I want them). I can afford to do this because my day job pays the $$$s (spent 7 years in college to get where I am now), but being my own boss means that I get the flexibility to work and dive as I want.

Go to college, get a degree and dive lots through your time. At least then you'll have an education to fall back onto if the instructing doesn't work out.

desperate4dives:
Hey Andy,
I was wondering if you knew anything about working on a liveaboard or something of the sort. I am seventeen and totally hooked on diving. Im working on my rescue diver certification and am going to be an instructor when I am 18. What kinds of things would be good to get a spot as crew for a liveaboard or some sort of diving buisness. I am planning to be a professional diver for my job and was wondering what all the fields are like in it.
thanks, Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I've trained quite a few Instructors who have gone to work on soem prestigious live aboards, in fact one couple are now running the recreational and technical diving off the MV Hurrican based in the Red Sea. You'll need to have some specialty training in equipment repair and maintenance, nitrox certified and a qualification as a 'Gas Blender' can help as well. If you're interested in videography and photogaphy then many Instructors work on liveaboards in this area, we've just had the Utila Aggressor begin operations around the Bay Islands and I'm aware they were recently looking for an Instructor who was also a Videographer as well.

I agree highly with AndyNZ, though, you shouldn't overlook the importance of getting a good education, that's essential and something to fall back on and really will help you to succeed in the dive business as well.

Hope this helps and let me know if there's anything else?

Warm regards,
Andy

thanks andy that really does help. How is the videography so different from photography and what types of classes or books should i look for to become good at those both. I will go to college but i am going to take a year off right after high school to go diving on a liveaboard. Thanks for the information again,
Kurt

AndyNZ:
Wow! 17, less than 50 dives and you know that you want to be an instructor!?

Most of the instructors I work with earn sweet FA and are jealous of my position - I work part time as an instructor (doing the courses I want, the way I want them). I can afford to do this because my day job pays the $$$s (spent 7 years in college to get where I am now), but being my own boss means that I get the flexibility to work and dive as I want.

Go to college, get a degree and dive lots through your time. At least then you'll have an education to fall back onto if the instructing doesn't work out.

Also, keep in mind that your certification hours may be accepted as transfer credit to college/university. They can really add up; esp in a degree in sports/recreation. I'm thinking of using mine to add a PE endorsement to my teaching certificate.

C

hi all, i'm headed down to utila begining of next month. i'm planning on staying there for a minimum of two months (more if the work is there). I'm a DM right now but I'm planning on doing the IDC/IE while i'm there...i've worked as a DM before in Thailand so suggestions on DM work availability would be appreaciated as well. Any suggestions?

Also, i want to do a few days of fun diving down there so i'm curious about the pricing over there for DM's with their own equipment as well as cheap accomodations. As i said any info. would be helpful. Also is their a cheaper way to get onto the island? I know in phi phi you just tell the ferry guys you work on the island and its half price. cheers guys

scuba619:
hi all, i'm headed down to utila begining of next month. i'm planning on staying there for a minimum of two months (more if the work is there). I'm a DM right now but I'm planning on doing the IDC/IE while i'm there...i've worked as a DM before in Thailand so suggestions on DM work availability would be appreaciated as well. Any suggestions?

Also, i want to do a few days of fun diving down there so i'm curious about the pricing over there for DM's with their own equipment as well as cheap accomodations. As i said any info. would be helpful. Also is their a cheaper way to get onto the island? I know in phi phi you just tell the ferry guys you work on the island and its half price. cheers guys

There's not too much paid employment on Utila for DM'S, most of the dive centers have their own in house trained DM's who often stick around after the course and DM in exhcnage for additional dives and experience. I work for the Utila Dive Centre and we have 2 paid positions for our head DM's and you may find there are 1 or 2 other resorts that have similar positions but these are few and far between. In order to find paid employment on Utila you really need to be a PADI Assistant Instructor or Instructor as most people visit the island for certification, that said it's a great place to take your IDC and gain experience as an Instructor afterwards. Personally I would arrive with enough budgeted not to need to work as a paid DM, you can find supplemental work in bars or restaurants, and volunteer your services as a DM, we allow DM's taking their IDC with us to help out and dive, you will also get paid for each scuba review you conduct and on our resort boats their are good 'tip' opportunities. If you want more info on taking your IDC or DM'ing with us at UDC, then just PM me.

As for getting to the island, the ferry is the cheapest way, unless you arrive on a Tuesday in La Ceiba and try to jump on board the cargo boat, Utila Express or Tonia C.

I hope this helps, drop me a PM if there's anything else?

Back
Top Bottom