Johanessburg to Vilankulo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

omnio

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone....

A group of 5 friends and I are planning a dive/safari trip to South Africa. We are flying into Joburg from Atlanta and plan to rent a car which we will use for the entire trip. Our plan is to drive from Joburg over to Sodwana Bay, then as closely as possible up the coast all the way to Vilankulo in Mozambique to visit Bazaruto. From this board I've gather that Tofo/Inhambane is a good place to stop at also. Does anyone have other recommendations for stops along the way? Also does anyone know if this drive is even possible? I've read mixed reports on driving north off Maputo, as the roads are pretty bad. Some say you need a 4x4 others say a car is fine. I'm also a little worried about how dangerous driving this route would be. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks....

Hi there

The drive to Sodwana from Joburg is fine in a car but I would really recommend a 4X4 for any trips into Moz. There are risks on Moz roads, but the biggest tip is STYA OFF THEM AT NIGHT! Far to many vehicles without any lights. Saftey wise Moz is a great country with great people and I have never had any bad experiences.

Tofo/Inhambane is great, maybe alos stop at Ponto which is very close to Sodwana, some great diving.

When are you coming over? Maybe we can meet up for a few dives in Sodwana

Hi

I have responded to your PM having not seen this post .You will definitely not be able to make the trip from the border post at Muzi near Ponto do Ouro to Maputo by car - even drivers of 4x4s battle with the road conditions.You will have to enter via Komatiepoort / Ressano.From there to Inhambane / Tofo can be done by car quite easily , I know people that have done it .

Your trip sounds very exciting - the Sodwana - Mozambique expedition is on my to do list . I have a 4x4 and may even attempt the Ponto - Maputo trip one day.

Safe Diving

Andrew

Ditto the comment on night driving.

Hi, I am returning from Bazarutu and have posted a trip report in the Bazaruto discussion of this forum. You can also e-mail me directly if you need further details. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom