Jolly Green Giant 9-10-2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudiHuntrs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were able to get out of work early and head to Pupukea for a test dive with the new arms I bought for my strobes.

We went straight out from the Firehouse entrance and just started doing our thing, looking in Pukas and under ledges to try and find nudibranchs... Well the eyes of the operation (my wife) got all excited and pointed between some boulders and there it was....... the first Jolly Green Giant Nudibranch we have ever seen!:D

Jolly%20Green%20Giant%20072.jpg

Jolly%20Green%20Giant%20080.jpg

Jolly%20Green%20Giant%20094.jpg

All these shots were made with a 100mm Macro lens.
BTW, if you have a U/W camera with strobes I highly recommend the STIX floats, they have made my Canon 30D and heavy Ikelite housing a joy to handle in the water.

We hope you enjoy the pix.

Aloha

NH

VERY nice! I've only seen one of those, too, and it was years ago, at a dive site called Driftwood
here on the Kona coast. The Holy Grail of Hawaiian Nudibranchs.

Are you sure it's the Jolly Green? Looking at the one in book, the underskirt is green too. Looking again, might it be a juvenile and the colors develop with time?

What ever it is, cool find!!!

Last edited:
The slug was very tiny, certainly no giant. It looked like it still needed to grow into it's rhinophores. At depth and in natural light, it looked brown and blended in with the surroundings perfectly. The name should really be changed to the Jolly Brown Petite :D

I resurrected this dead thread given here is the full color one, Found it yesterday out at Moku Ho'oniki Rock.

Also should give credit to Lahaina Divers, I would never make it out there if they did not run the boat to see the sharks.

IMG8864-L.jpg

That is a great shot. Thanks for sharing.
Do you have any idea on how big it was?

-NH

Back
Top Bottom