July 3rd, Kayak Dive + Picnic, John Lloyd St.Park Dania Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to the picnic. Sounds like a lot of fun! Never Kayaked before. Should be interesting.

Dive/Pickinick Report:

Up at 6am to load 2 kayaks + gear, made it to John Lloyd St Pk just in time for the morning summer downpour, followed by the morning parking lot steam sauna.
Jenny and Mike hit the reef via inflatable kayak as soon as the rain quit.
The rest of us kinda daudled until 10am, waiting for any stragglers.
My 2nd kayak was totally idle for the whole day!
Nearly 2.5 hrs bottom time as I was hanging shallow trying to collect gobies with no luck. Got some hermits, arrow crabs for the home tank, brittle stars, snails.
Munched out on hamburgers, more publix salads than you couls shake a plastic sppon at, sugar goodies (that are on my ex-diet list) and water-water-water
as it was a -very- -hot- day!

How was your dive Jenny? Mike?

It was awesome! We made it out to the balls. Grabbed the farthest one north and tied off. We could see the reef from the surface! Dropped in, and hit the ledge, going south. Saw 4 kinds of hamlets, 4 kinds of butterfly fish, 100's of french grunts, snook, doctor fish, oh, and a very tiny smooth trunkfish, maybe a 1/2"! It was sooooo cute! We did an hour dive, put the stuff back on the yak and came back in.
I had to get home, so I missed ya and your dive report...oh well, maybe next time, would love to do it again!

Scuba_Jenny:
It was awesome! We made it out to the balls. Grabbed the farthest one north and tied off....SNIP!
Yup, it was an awesome morning. Sorry I had to "dive & dash" but I was late getting back as it was.

Jen, remember coming in, when you spotted that little white-ish kayak to the north? THAT WAS MY BROTHER IN LAW. They had the SeaRay out and were wondering if "we" were "me" or not. I wish I had known they were going to anchor there for the morning.

I've never taken the diveyak anywhere... just in the past dove off my beach with it. It was a nice drill figuring out how to best transport it... best way is on the roof, deflated, if any other diveyakkers are reading.

Next time we'll put the diveyak in the water upcurrent and drift-dive the balls, leaving a car at each end. The reef there is nicer under the balls than here.

Jen forgot to mention the little school of large snook... I still wish I had surfaced next to that boat we almost bumped into to tell the fishermen where to cast! They were sooo close. AND the lobster that knew there were in safe-season... but the juvinile Trunk was something I've always wanted to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom