July 7 Huntington Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone here mentioned that it may be harder to find a dive buddy because I mentioned I have not done any Ocean diving. Although that is true, I am not a stranger to the Ocean. I grew up in Orange County and spent a lot of time at the beach. It is ironic that I lived there for decades and did not learn to dive but then move to Denver where I do learn to dive.

I have come to the conclusion that it is because I miss the water. Diving has added a whole new dimension to that love. I have been diving here in Denver in conditions that most divers hate (cold, low-viz) and have enjoyed it. I look forward to being able to dive when I get to CA next week.

I have been reading that Laguna Beach has been closed to diving. Is that a surf condition or something else?

Thanks,

Dan Davies

I want to publicly thank Mel for going diving with me. I had a great time. I was surprised by how much life is right off the shore. Growing up in Southern California I went to the beach a lot but did not think much about what was out there (except for the occasional sting from a jelly fish).

I did give Mel some amusing moments. I had gotten some sand in my BC valve and after about three minutes I started drifting up. I would dump the air come back down. Then back up again. It took three times before I realized what was happening. I signaled Mel I was having trouble and then removed my hose. I used the inflation valve to dump some air and reconnected the hose. I was hoping this would flush out whatever was in the valve. The trick worked but by now I had lost sight of Mel. He found me again and we continued the dive. Not being used to the surge, I banged my fin on a rock which caused the quick release to work. I don't know how because you have to squeeze top and bottom for the release to work. Any way, it made for an amusing situation as I struggled to get it back on. Fortunately, the second dive went much better. I look forward to my next ocean dive. Next time I will not be quite so 'dry'.

Once again, thank you Mel.

Dan Davies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom