Junkers Ju-52 Photogrammetry Model (Kea, Greece -- 205 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As promised in my last post on the overall Ju52 Project, I've just released a post about the details of the photogrammetry model and links to the on-line 3D model which you can zoom, rotate, etc.

Here is a link to the post will all the details, some photos / videos shot by Ben Lair while I was working on the project, and some screenshots and links to the model:

Here are a couple screen captures of the model. One of the coolest aspects is that it covers quite a bit of the inside as well and you can "see through" the broken out windows out into the ocean floor.

Top Down View:

model-3-logo.JPG

Here you can see the ocean floor through the windows:

model-detail-1-logo.JPG

Brett, I watched the video of you moving around taking the pics for the model. How important is it to maintain a consistent distance from the subject when you're taking pictures? Is it fairly critical or does the photogrammetry software account for varying distances when it's knitting the pics together?

Brett, I watched the video of you moving around taking the pics for the model. How important is it to maintain a consistent distance from the subject when you're taking pictures? Is it fairly critical or does the photogrammetry software account for varying distances when it's knitting the pics together?

The software can account for distance from the target (within reason). It even has lens corrections if the lens type is provided in the EXIF data.

Keeping a consistent distance helps more with lighting and color (assuming you are working with artificial light and not building a natural light model). The software blends the color from all the photos for a specific spot, but if you are inconsistent across the wreck, it will show.

For example, on our second dive there was a current from starboard to port. You can see in the model that the starboard side of the fuselage is "redder" and lit more than the port side. I kept getting pushed into the wreck on the starboard side and pushed away on the port side.

Regards,

- brett

Back
Top Bottom