just a thought about night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyhigh123

Reaction score
well i never night dove before... but i was reading about lobster catchin and how they may get scared by the hid lights or maybe even the regular lights.

I had an idea, since i keep reef tanks, at night when i look into the tank, i usually use a flash light with a red filter. Supposedly, inverts and fish dont see red light that well. So i was thinking to maximize bug catchin in darkness, maybe using a flash light with a red lense/ red fliter will increase the number of bugs caught...

just a thought....

Well, red light doesn't penetrate sea water effectively. I'm pretty sure that the bugs won't see it, but I'm worried that unless you bring a regular light as backup, you'd have a lot of trouble navigating by red light. No sense lobster diving if you can't see well enough to find the lobsters :D

i was thinking maybe a filter on a dangleline... when looking for lobsters only move the filter there, and when swimming to move around remove it...

flyhigh123:
i was thinking maybe a filter on a dangleline... when looking for lobsters only move the filter there, and when swimming to move around remove it...

Unless your lobsters are "special", I don't think this is a problem. I've yet to see a lobster run away from a strong light. Crabs even "freeze" in strong light, so you can pick them up easily from behind when "blinding" them with your light.

For your own sake, train night dives for a little while before you go for lobsters. You know, navigation and such. Get used to being down there in the dark. Try "lights out" at 60 feet even. It's pretty cool! :D

i went out the other night and the lobsters would freak out when i passed my 21w hid over them.

California Diver:
i went out the other night and the lobsters would freak out when i passed my 21w hid over them.

Ok, but have you tried "locking" your light on them instead of "passing" it over them? Maybe your bugs just are different than ours.

Last night I was using my 10w HID as a prod to move the bugs out of their holes. I just shone the light behind them and coralled them out. Too bad most were shorts!
I managed to get 2 legal size on Fri/Sat night/morning and two more (one was a good 2+ pounder Sat night. SURF AND TURF FOR DINNER TONIGHT! :D

I use a hid MH light just like the one on my reef when I go night dive and did 3 lobster dive already this season. The HID light is great, I put the light right in the lobsters face and grab him from behind. I think the bright light makes them blind so it makes it easy to catch them. But you should really try out a night dive its awsome. I saw tones of stuff last night.

hey raskall.. nice to hear from you again.. what do u mean hid mh light? did you make it? how did u retro a MH light to fit?? lol

i have a 400mh i can use... lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom